Sugino chainring question

lebuski

Dirt Disciple
Hi, I'm trying to find a replacement Sugino middle chainring but am unsure of what to get. At the moment I have Sugino VP cranks with Sugino 48t outer and Sugino 28t Cycloid inner but the middle has been replaced with a cheap unbranded 38t with ramps. Now I've spotted a few 38t Suginos on ebay but they are all flat (no ramps). My question is does my replacement need to be ramped or has the wrong one been fitted in the past
Thanks for any help

If the original out ring has ramps and pins then the original middle one would have had them too. If not, then just plain.

Hi bren
Many thanks for the extremely quick reply. My outer has no ramps, so this could explain why after months of looking on ebay I've been unable to find one.
Cheers
John

Yes agreed. I just did an image search for Sugino VPs and looks like no ramps on the original chainrings, they're just flat stamped chainrings.
Are you pedantic about originality or do you just want a good functioning end result? If you want originality then obviously only a Sugino VP replacement will do. If however you just want to be sure of sourcing a satisfactory replacement then as far as i've experienced it doesn't matter whether a replacement middle ring is ramped or not. What's important besides bolt-circle-diameter is the thickness of the teeth (wide or narrow chain) and it's assembled position between inner and outer rings (ideally equidistant).
I needed a new middle ring for my original Sugino Impel 500 triple 22-32-44 (which has pins but no proper ramps), i looked for a new Sugino replacement but didn't find one so i fitted a new ramped Raceface 32. The Raceface is actually better quality, it's beautifully machined, ramped and pinned rather than the original Sugino which was just a bashed-out stamping. It's now on the bike and works fine, no dodgy shifts, chain rub or anything. Both old and new were silver coloured so visually there's not much difference anyway.

:D yes your honour I admit to being a pedant!!!
The replacement parts on my bike are not neccesarily the original spec items, I'm not trying to build an original machine but have all been NOS parts by the same manufacturer. IE; Suntour, Epoch Mori etc I guess it's just an eccentricity.
Thanks for doing the image search though and I'll maybe pop out and check if my current set up has equidistant spacing
Cheers

Thanks for the link Archemist. But I ordered a new ring yesterday. I could have bought one anytime but I was too focused on trying to find one with ramps instead of coming on here and asking the question.
You guys are brilliant
Thanks

Back