Wheel truing dilemma

REKIBorter

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Restoring a nice pair of wheels - LX M560 hubs with Ritchey Vantage Comp rims. They needed a true up so put them in the wheel jig, all goes well until I flip the front wheel over to check for a nice concentric build. The rear is spot on both ways in the jig but the front is not - one way round it is spot on the other way it is not central between the guides. I have checked the alignment of the guides against another set of professionally built wheels and all is good.

Could it be something to do with the wheel bearings not being centralised?

Possibly... checking the position of the hub flanges will tell maybe?

Otherwise, they have been dished for a specific reason (or build badly)

G

How far off are they?.......is it a problem, given that flipping the wheel in the jig will effectively double the amount they appear out?......can this be swallowed up in pad adjustment and be a storm in a teacup?......no one else will know!......

It's only a couple of mm out, really bugging me now. Have even taken my wheel truing stand to the LBS to calibrate it against their shop stand. All set up as it should be.

Is it an axle spacer (thin one) missing., don't think these have one. Replacement cone and something's not quite correct.

What's it like on the bike, where the axle digs in a bit more ?

AFAIK the parts are all original. Lock nut - cone on each side are the same. The frame is away getting powder coated so will have to wait to see what it looks like when built up.

HypnoToad":37k70jc1 said:
Some frame need an offset rear wheel, I've never seen an offset front wheel however...

It's not in a frame, but a jig which is set at central positioning (I guess a self dishing one.)

To be honest the spacers shouldn't matter but just something to check as it should still be central when flipped.
All I can think of is the hub is to loose and not being clamped tight enough like it would in a frame so it's got a bit of slop, but you would notice that by rocking it.
OR it's just clamping slightly wrongly in the stand. But you don't have big axles, just standard 9mm ones.

Or you've been drinking a bit to much.
Dish it up the way you want it in the front forks, it should then be 'correct' that way around.

Back