Raleigh reynolds MTB question

tom.senex

Retro Newbie
Hello all, yes new to this site but have stumbled across it a few times in the past. Basically, some time ago I acquired and old cool mint '89 Raleigh Montage 18 speed with a Suntour (ovaltech chainring) set up. After a thorough clean and a few tweaks - the stem was too long and the quill too short, so it felt very uncomfortable to ride. A swept back riser bar solved the problem as the quill is of an odd size and could not be replaced. Anyhow, we've since had the most amazing time, including a fully loaded camping tour of North Devon tackling rocky bridleways and the steepest climbs (some over 25%) one can imagine. Yes on a 20 years old 18 gears bike that cost me a total of £25 including new Shwalbe tyres. Anyhow, as you can tell I'm in love with lugged Raleigh MTBs. Now the question is I would very much like to upgrade this bike but because the quill is an odd size (22.2mm) I think I would probably be better off sourcing a similar MTB and have been looking for a list of 501 Raleighs to help me choosing which one to look for. I also understand that some of them, the Montage for example, are not fully 501 but only the main tube frame but others are 501 throughout. I've also come across an earlier Dawes Ranger which I think is a fully 531 MTB and some old Saracens but Raleighs are more easily found I think.
In summary, where can I find out more about the various early Reynolds Raleigh MTBs including spec? Is there a list somewhere?

tom.senex":1x7hzdyb said:
Hello all, yes new to this site but have stumbled across it a few times in the past. Basically, some time ago I acquired and old cool mint '89 Raleigh Montage 18 speed with a Suntour (ovaltech chainring) set up. After a thorough clean and a few tweaks - the stem was too long and the quill too short, so it felt very uncomfortable to ride. A swept back riser bar solved the problem as the quill is of an odd size and could not be replaced. Anyhow, we've since had the most amazing time, including a fully loaded camping tour of North Devon tackling rocky bridleways and the steepest climbs (some over 25%) one can imagine. Yes on a 20 years old 18 gears bike that cost me a total of £25 including new Shwalbe tyres. Anyhow, as you can tell I'm in love with lugged Raleigh MTBs. Now the question is I would very much like to upgrade this bike but because the quill is an odd size (22.2mm) I think I would probably be better off sourcing a similar MTB and have been looking for a list of 501 Raleighs to help me choosing which one to look for. I also understand that some of them, the Montage for example, are not fully 501 but only the main tube frame but others are 501 throughout. I've also come across an earlier Dawes Ranger which I think is a fully 531 MTB and some old Saracens but Raleighs are more easily found I think.
In summary, where can I find out more about the various early Reynolds Raleigh MTBs including spec? Is there a list somewhere?

There aren't many catalogues around for the lower end Raleighs (of which the Montage was near the top) which is a shame as there are some decent bikes there (Montage, Mirage and Moonrun) and some nice history. The 501 frames were all just 3 main tubes (some of the 531's were too) as I believe that there was no full 501 tubeset. If you want a nice lugged Raleigh and an upgrade you are looking for one of the 531 lightweights (like my team edition) from 1988-1990 (there is a 1989 catalogue in the archive), they are all 22.2mm (1") threaded headsets but these are easy to find and I replaced the one on mine with a new Ritchey Logic for about £10. They are nice bikes and very underrated.

Carl.

Quill size in inches would be .833 sorry not very good with cm/mm

Anyhow will will into the Mirage and Moonrun (do they have a Suntour or Shimano set up, would you know?)

Quill size of your bike is 21.1mm 0.833" which is the old BMX standard. Old Raleighs used it because much of their early efforts just involved incorporating the BMX tech they were already building. Only way to increase the scope of 1" quill stems available is to replace fork for one with a 22.2mm internal diameter. There are of course a huge number of these available, new and used but will not be colour matched to your frame. External diameter of the 21.1mm steerer is the same as all other 1" steerers so you can keep the headset. Problems might arrise if you wish to replace the headset if it to is early BMX as their headset cups lie half way between 1" standard and 1&1/8" standard. I suspect that a standard 1" headsets been used as lugged framed Raleigh mtb's had standard headsets. However uf your frame was one of the old welded ones then the BMX headset would probably have been used.

tom.senex":12ovq1xp said:
Quill size in inches would be .833 sorry not very good with cm/mm

Anyhow will will into the Mirage and Moonrun (do they have a Suntour or Shimano set up, would you know?)

Don't worry the Montage is standard 1" steerer, some of the cheaper Raleigh's used odd size headsets and bottom brackets but the Montage was not one, so have no fear any standard 1" threaded headset will fit. The Mirage started off White and was kitted out with Shimano Exage Trail (first year had a u-brake, then moved to Cantis), it then became Purple (you see lots of these on ebay) and was fitted with Shimano 300LX, the Moonrun was a one year only bike for 1991 and is quite rare, it was fitted with Suntour XCM parts and painted black.
These 3 bikes were the top of Raleigh low end range from about 1988 to 1991 and were quite popular due to competitive price and decent spec for the money.

Carl.

I'm confused, you say the quill is 22.2mm in the first post and then latter on 21.1mm, from memory the Montage being further up the range away from the Gaspipe bikes used a normal MTB 22.2mm Quill (I'm sure my Maverick GT was the same and that was an 88 bike) and not the 21.1mm from the Mustang.

Carl.

I'm a bit confused too, 0.833" = 21.1mm which is the old BMX steerer ID
0.874" = 22.2mm the standard ID for a 1" steerer.
What have you got ?
I had a Raleigh Massif in the past, the cheap high tensile steel lugged version of the Montages 501 frame and it had a 21.1 mm ID steerer. Also I had a welded Raleigh Alaska with a 21.1mm ID steerer. Higher up Raleighs tended to have 22.2mm ID steerers. Maybe you have a Montage with cheaper forks. Raleigh were notorious for not sticking strictly to spec. Mikee tells me he once had a Raleigh with solid steel rod seat stays instead of tubes !

Sorry about the confusion, and thank you all for your replies. Quill size is indeed 21.1mm, think it's a '89 Montage colour is 'cool mint'.
While at this, would you know what were the top of range Raleighs of that era, i.e. with lugged 501 frames but guess frames were all the same just different set ups.

Back