WTB Speedmaster vs. Machine Tech Cantis

jpicard616

Old School Hero
I'm building up an old Merlin frame and am not sure which way to go on the brakes. I have mostly XTR M900 stuff for the build, and I really like the look of the gray titanium with that gunmetal color of the old XTR stuff... so with that in mind I have been considering some WTB Speedmaster cantis (based solely on looks) to set off the bike... but since I plan to ride the shit out of this bike, I want the brakes to hold up. I was also considering some Machine Tech brakes which I have used in the past and love. Does anybody know more about these different brakes, and whether one is better than the other? I like the look of the WTB's better but I don't want to buy something that isn't going to stop the bike.

Most brakes work well if set up properly
My experience
WTB speed masters ,bit of a sod to find the sweet spot with ,and need to be over tightened ,so when you come to adjust them again a few months later , you get that , ooooh it's gonna strip or round out the screw thing
Machine tech , I assume zero flex's ? , work very well and easy to set up tho you need the right pads
XTR , shimano , perfect in every respect except exclusivity
What about onza ho's ,or pedersen ?
Mike

Back