Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:35 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:23 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:22 pm
Posts: 2942
Location: Platsa, Messinias, Greece
Cheap tube combined with tyre creep probably - mark the tyre and rim with a marker pen and, if it happens again, see if the tyre has moved on the rim.
If it has, then either use more pressure or fit a different tyre. Use talc inside the tyre too but not on the beads, of course.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:46 am 
PoTM Winner / retrobike rider
PoTM Winner / retrobike rider

Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:05 am
Posts: 960
Location: Netherlands
wookiee wrote:
Had this before myself are the tyres new or old? I found my older tyres were moving on the rim and dragging the tube with it and tearing it on the valve hole in the rim....also the other things mentioned talcing, lock ring to tight, and low pressure....

Doug


I had the same...bought two used tyres, after 500 meters front flat, so decided to lean backwards and drive slowly on. 200 meters later rear flat :facepalm: . Both on the same place, where the valve is attached to the tube.

I contacted the former owner of the tyres and he told me he have had the same problem but didn't realize it could be the tyres.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:11 am 
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:35 pm
Posts: 2784
jonnyboy666 wrote:
potential dumb question but i just thought i'd check, you're using a presta valve, is the rim drilled for schrader?.



This is where my money is going..... :wink:


G


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:14 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:06 pm
Posts: 342
Location: Seattle, WA
Does it look like the holes are from the valve moving back and forth or from some abrasion or sharp edges? If it from scratches find the edges and file em down.

If it looks like the valve is moving side to side causing the tear then make sure the rim tape is not slipping. If it's the tire that's slipping perhaps add a bit of rubber cement or rtv on a few points in the rim to keep the tires in place.

I have never experienced issues with running presta in schraeder rims but the tube shouldn't be moving enough to distress the valve if everything is right.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:42 am 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:16 pm
Posts: 4335
Stupid question, but have you got rim tape and is it correctly applied / not peeling off?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:13 pm 
East Midlands Deputy AEC
East Midlands Deputy AEC
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:39 pm
Posts: 2028
Location: Ashby-de-la-Zouch
tigern wrote:
wookiee wrote:
Had this before myself are the tyres new or old? I found my older tyres were moving on the rim and dragging the tube with it and tearing it on the valve hole in the rim....also the other things mentioned talcing, lock ring to tight, and low pressure....

Doug


I had the same...bought two used tyres, after 500 meters front flat, so decided to lean backwards and drive slowly on. 200 meters later rear flat :facepalm: . Both on the same place, where the valve is attached to the tube.

I contacted the former owner of the tyres and he told me he have had the same problem but didn't realize it could be the tyres.



x3 Don't tighten the valve down to the rim and see if the valve angle changes when ridden.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:27 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:50 pm
Posts: 946
Location: Over there -->
If the rim is drilled for schraeder valves and you are using presta valves, a fix that has worked well for me over the last decade or so is to cut out the section of an old destroyed tube from around the valve (ie where the tube has failed) and put this section of rubber over the valve on the new tube before installing it. This gives a decent amount of protection to the valve/tube join on the new tube for little, or zero, expense.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:19 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:17 am
Posts: 1219
Location: Northants
jonnyboy666 wrote:
potential dumb question but i just thought i'd check, you're using a presta valve, is the rim drilled for schrader?

assuming it is drilled for only presta, you could try winding the nut to the base of the valve then fitting the tube and putting another nut on top once the tube is inflated.


Yes it's a rim that's drilled only for Presta but it's a really narrow rim (Sun M14a) with an internal measurement of about 12mm which won't leave me a great deal of space for the tyre beads with the nut inside the rim.

Image

feetabix wrote:
Make sure there is no sideways pressure on the valve caused by pulling tyre around the rim as you mount the last bead too!......


When fitting the tyre i usually push the valve as far in as i dare to get the beads on the rim first as it's quite narrow then pull the valve down a little... gently i might add so it's seated ok.

wookiee wrote:
Had this before myself are the tyres new or old? I found my older tyres were moving on the rim and dragging the tube with it and tearing it on the valve hole in the rim....also the other things mentioned talcing, lock ring to tight, and low pressure....

Doug



They are quite old.. I bought the tyre in question in the mid 90's but it doesn't seem to move on the rim mate. :wink: As with my OCD the valves are lined up with the script on the tyres :facepalm: 8)

Image

Woz wrote:
:idea:

Simply crap inner tubes. Cheap is often not cheerful; Schwalbe or Conti are dependable.


You could be right there bud and have been looking at the Conti lights on eBay and may try them but they're costly and want to make sure i resolve this first. A tenner a pop.. quite literally.

al-onestare wrote:
Stupid question, but have you got rim tape and is it correctly applied / not peeling off?


It's certainly not peeling off but there is slight movement.. Going to remedy this now with a bit of insulation tape.

grahame wrote:
If the rim is drilled for schraeder valves and you are using presta valves, a fix that has worked well for me over the last decade or so is to cut out the section of an old destroyed tube from around the valve (ie where the tube has failed) and put this section of rubber over the valve on the new tube before installing it. This gives a decent amount of protection to the valve/tube join on the new tube for little, or zero, expense.


Liking this idea Graheme.. Liking it alot.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:52 pm 
Retro Guru
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:37 pm
Posts: 5198
Location: North West
"which won't leave me a great deal of space for the tyre beads with the nut inside the rim" - Nut on the inside ?

Your valve is a bit p1ssed in that pic ?

I dont know if these issues alone will make a differance but every little helps :D

Other than that, all your parts look OK so I would say it's either faulty set up or crap tubes ?

WD :D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:16 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:17 am
Posts: 1219
Location: Northants
WD Pro wrote:

Your valve is a bit p1ssed in that pic ?

WD :D


It does look like it!! but that one never goes down :D Looks older than the hills too!!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Antel1982, Cheshire1980, KeithW, Maxipedia, T'boo Ted and 51 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group