Another flat tyre! presta valve advice sought.

PopsTrippin

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Again out riding with the family I got yet another flat tyre.. Always seem to be on the same wheel in the same place.

What is happening is the innertube seems to be tearing at the bottom of the thread on the presta valve where it joins the tube, Why??

What am I doing wrong? Any advice greatly received.

Thanks - Rich

Either the hole isn't smooth (poweredbypies beat me to that), you are over-tightening the nut that keeps the valve in the rim, or the rim itself simply has a profile that causes the rubber around the valve's foot to bend at the wrong angle, therefore causing it to tear.

If the hole is smooth, try different brands of inner tubes.

They both seem ok but I guess I could give it a little flick over with a small file, maybe even stick some tape around the edges.

Was even considering putting a corn plaster over the valve to cushion it if it happens again! :shock:

I asked the guy in my LBS and he said "don't screw the little bolt on until the tyre is fully inflated" but this time I didn't even put it on and it still tore.

potential dumb question but i just thought i'd check, you're using a presta valve, is the rim drilled for schrader?

assuming it is drilled for only presta, you could try winding the nut to the base of the valve then fitting the tube and putting another nut on top once the tube is inflated.

Make sure there is no sideways pressure on the valve caused by pulling tyre around the rim as you mount the last bead too!......

Had this before myself are the tyres new or old? I found my older tyres were moving on the rim and dragging the tube with it and tearing it on the valve hole in the rim....also the other things mentioned talcing, lock ring to tight, and low pressure....

Doug

:idea:

Simply crap inner tubes. Cheap is often not cheerful; Schwalbe or Conti are dependable.

Back