Anyone Painted A Aluminium Crank ?

WD Pro

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I know that will be yes, but if you could advise on the below it would be really appreciated :cool:

A) What prep work did you do ?
B) What primer did you use - if any ?
C) What paint did you use ?

And importantly :

D) How did it cope with assembly - around bolt holes etc (particularly where the pedals mount) ?
E) How tough was the finish during day to day use ?

Any advice appreciated :cool:

Cheers,

WD :D

I haven't painted any, but if i were to i think i would opt for powdercoat instead of paint.
I imagine heel rub will take the paint off quickly

Grannygrinder":3mknqhx8 said:
I haven't painted any, but if i were to i think i would opt for powdercoat instead of paint.
I imagine heel rub will take the paint off quickly

+1

i'd go for powdercoat too, plenty of colours to choose from and hard wearing

I did it, using cans of car paint and primer...

Got a realy good finish, masked all the contact areas, let it cure in the hot sunlights for about a week... went out for a ride, and it rubbed off or flaked off on said first ride..

I wouldn't do it again...

Hammerite in a spray can would give a more durable finish I reckon, but as has been said up there^^ you're probably better off with powdercoat..

A) Anodised
B) Acid Etch Primer
C) Aerosol from a decent paint supplier (not Halfords), also good quality laquer.
D) Ok.
E) Large areas rubbed off on one ride at Cannock Chase.

Go with a good powder coater (my guy does OEM work on the GM Corvette's parts for one). The paint on these is 2 years old. I wiped off the mung for the pic to show how the finish is holding up (you can see from the filth on the rest of the frame/parts the bike see's regular use). Barely see a mark on them.

558CF9CE-9A61-44AD-BAEE-149ADA53C1FE-1389-00000106538925FF_zpsf3741588.jpg

Thanks guys - that's what I thought but wanted to be sure as I would rather do the work myself if I could :D

I know a couple of good powder coaters so might open communications :D

I have seen some powdered cranks that looked, erm, sh1te ... They would have looked better dipped in a tin of paint and hung out to dry ... :LOL:

The other option I was considering was this ceramic finish that I have seen on MTBR - that looks really cool and surposedly very tough. Anyone got any experiance of that ?

I have never been a heel rubber, but for the first time in my life I have two very nice new cranks and one nice crank soon to be reconditioned - Sod's law says I will be a heel rubber soon ... :LOL:

If your powdering aluminium parts make shure it's a low bake process
Higher temperatures can anneal aluminium parts

@ FMJ - Do you know what process and material your guy uses ? Looks good :cool:

As painting is out, and polished wont suit the build, it will be between plastic or ceramic. I am thinking of using these guys (or a UK version) : http://www.ceramikoat.com/

In ceramic matt black :

014.jpg

What do you think ?

Back