Is it worth doing up?

bertie bassett

Dirt Disciple
I have just stripped down my 94 Kona Cindercone and am wondering if it's worth doing up. I suspect I'm asking the wrong people here but the frame is pretty tired as It's had some hammer over the years. There is lots of rust on it (the chain stay has no paint left on it), the seat post is well and truly jammed in, the bottom bracket isn't keen to come out and the P2's are in a sorry state. If I were to do it up it would need a complete re-spray, how much would this cost and can anyone recommend someone in the Sheffield area that could do it?

I'd post a picture of it but it might make me cry. :cry:

A paint job is under £100 including decals.
Hopefully the seatpost will come out with a little persuasion, at least you can turn a blowtorch onto the frame without fear of damaging the paintwork!
They are pretty solid frames, so there is no reason why it won't be salvageable and look a minter!

I have taken some complete wrecks back to working condition that weren't really worth it on paper.
It's more a case of how much do you like the bike. Most things are fixable.

It means quite a lot to me really as I'm an old softy :oops: and I now need a commuter bike with a bit of off-road capability, so I guess it's going to get fixed up. They don't need to remove the seat post as it's set to my size anyway. At least it does mean that the six hours I've spent stripping it down and cleaning it today won't be wasted.

If you like the bike, then its worth it. My Gary Fisher was nearly in the same state, but with a bit of effort you will get the bottom bracket and seat post out. I spent days getting both out, some people I know thought I was mad as its an old bike. I replaced all the parts and it rides great and puts a smile on my face, knowing that I fixed it. There's plenty of help out there and here if you get stuck.
Ian

Naaah throw it in the nearest skip / canal and buy a £ 300 hard rock Carrera trek hydro formed Bangladesh made POS bso

or
Sort it and enjoy the patina

RAT BIKE yeahhh
Do the bare minimum to it and ride it like it is it will look cool and show it's battle scars like a badge of honour.
I have restored quite a few bikes now and in economic terms it's not worth it so it just boils down to how much you want it back as new.I spend £500 on my first build a Cro mega LX Alpinestars e-stay it now looks like new but I couldn't sell it on here for half that

bertie bassett":sn1hebv7 said:
I have just stripped down my 94 Kona Cindercone and am wondering if it's worth doing up. I suspect I'm asking the wrong people here but the frame is pretty tired as It's had some hammer over the years. There is lots of rust on it (the chain stay has no paint left on it), the seat post is well and truly jammed in, the bottom bracket isn't keen to come out and the P2's are in a sorry state. If I were to do it up it would need a complete re-spray, how much would this cost and can anyone recommend someone in the Sheffield area that could do it?

I'd post a picture of it but it might make me cry. :cry:

By coincidence I am in the same position as you with my 94 Cinder Cone, at present it is stripped down but the frame is in reasonably good 'fettle'. My main problem is the forks (Girvin Vector 2) which are now becoming a pain in the arse, as parts are becoming harder to source without spending stupid money in the US, so I am looking at my options.

1. Have fame professionally painted and put back to standard.
2. Have disc tab and guides tacked on, painted and build with modern components and suspension fork.
3. Go out and purchase something like a Genesis High Latitude which I think is the nearest thing to a 90's Kona frame.

In my opinion most bikes are worth rescuing to some degree. Often though it's not really cost effective to completely restore them to mint condition.
While most things are fixable given enough time, effort and money, it's also an option to keep the patina and halt any further deterioration. There's a whole spectrum of approaches in between.

I'm also not really a fan of modernising old bikes, I'd prefer to keep their character and characteristics.
If you want modern features and components then get a modern bike.

Back