Octalink V1 / M952 Crank Info

WD Pro

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Hi,

I have never owned Octalink or M952, is this spline wear normal or is it goosed :

I get the feeling that it would pull onto a good BB and reform / deform a little to suit - what do you think ?

The non drive side is better :

Any help / advice appreciated :D

Cheers,

WD :D

looks like isis and not octalink (you probably need a isis BB)

this is a octalink cranks

05DFP46_DEO_FCBBES51_084_01.jpg

It's M952 and everything I can find says Octalink V1 ?

What do you think of the splines ?

Cheers,

WD :D

Definitely 100% octalink

Shimano's equivalent to isis at the time

Can't comment on your concerns, but what I do know is that v1 bb's had shorter splines than the v2, and are not compatible with each other..

Never had a problem with wear at the crank bolt end, but the bb's themselves don't seem to last too long, although the 105 version had bearings you can access and is rebuildable of sorts...

Octalink V1 for sure

ISIS was everybody in the bike indusrty's responce to Octalink.

In my experience you cant really screw them up. That should mount up fine.
If anything the drive side looks better than the non-drive to my eyes.

Not yet - I was going to get a 105 but best until a verdit is in the the above, might be a wasted purchase ... :-(

GT-Steve":h58yuilw said:
Never had a problem with wear at the crank bolt end, but the bb's themselves don't seem to last too long, although the 105 version had bearings you can access and is rebuildable of sorts...

The original XTR BB (M950) was fully rebuildable.

I think i am correct in commenting that the M952 BB has more in common with Shimano Octalink road bottom brackets of the time than any of the mountain bike octalink items. The splines are shorter on the road and M952 items.
I've only had 1 set of M952 cranks and i used a shimano 105 BB and it was perfect :D

Grannygrinder":3dqabij1 said:
I think i am correct in commenting that the M952 BB has more in common with Shimano Octalink road bottom brackets of the time than any of the mountain bike octalink items. The splines are shorter on the road and M952 items.
I've only had 1 set of M952 cranks and i used a shimano 105 BB and it was perfect :D

Same here..

Back