Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:06 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:55 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Looks fine to me, and I've had/got a few. Give me a shout if you want a bb, might have something suitable in the stash.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:15 pm 
Retro Guru
Retro Guru

It would be appreciated if you could have a quick look :D

Cheers,

WD :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:15 pm 
Retro Guru

They look fine from where i'm sitting. It's hard to see but if there are a few small burrs then they are easily removed with a small swiss file. Take a look at this link, it shows the differences here and is a handy page to bookmark.http://sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html[url][/url]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:01 pm 
Retro Guru
Retro Guru

Thanks everyone for the advice 8)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:29 am 
Retro Guru

Naders close up pic is of Octalink V2, the longer splines give it away.

I compiled all the knowledge I could find regarding these cranks in a single thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=252065

To me it appears that your cranks have been ridden without having been fully engaged on the splines (more torque is required than expected on the BB bolts) or an attempt has been made to mount to an Octalink V2 BB. The spline width (not length) between V1 & V2 is very slightly different, 2mm Vs 2.2mm IIRC.

I think your cranks will be ok once mounted to a V1 BB, but I'd mount fully, remove, clean out the broken off burrs, and remount.

For your cranks, it is very important to remove the extractor rings from the cranks before fitting the cranks to the BB so you have full feel of spline engagement.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:39 am 
Retro Guru

gtRTSdh wrote:
For your cranks, it is very important to remove the extractor rings from the cranks before fitting the cranks to the BB so you have full feel of spline engagement.
Yup, there is the feeling of a distinct stop when you wind the 952s onto the the bottom bracket. Not like square taper, where with a long enough bar and a couple of beers you can wind it on until the bolt bottoms out on the axle end. (Or the crank splits!)

I'd agree with the thought that it looks like it's been put into the wrong bottom bracket at some point, fortunately, it doesn't look like it's been put on very thoroughly. So you should have plenty of intact spline left to use!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:23 am 
Retro Guru

mattr wrote:
gtRTSdh wrote:
Yup, there is the feeling of a distinct stop when you wind the 952s onto the the bottom bracket. Not like square taper, where with a long enough bar and a couple of beers you can wind it on until the bolt bottoms out on the axle end. (Or the crank splits!)

I'd agree with the thought that it looks like it's been put into the wrong bottom bracket at some point, fortunately, it doesn't look like it's been put on very thoroughly. So you should have plenty of intact spline left to use!

You are correct, but my point is to ensure the splines mesh. It's very easy to start tightening and not have the splines actually meshed which has been the cause of many damaged crank side octalink splines.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:03 pm 
Retro Guru

gtRTSdh wrote:
You are correct, but my point is to ensure the splines mesh. It's very easy to start tightening and not have the splines actually meshed which has been the cause of many damaged crank side octalink splines.
I always found that there was enough play with everything fitted and about one turn on the 8mm bolt to give enough jiggle room to find and locate the splines. But I've had octalink since it was released!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:18 pm 
Retro Guru

mattr wrote:
gtRTSdh wrote:
I always found that there was enough play with everything fitted and about one turn on the 8mm bolt to give enough jiggle room to find and locate the splines. But I've had octalink since it was released!

You're right, but the crank slides on the splines a decent way without the removal ring which is going to be a real benefit to the OP with iffy splines.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:00 pm 
Retro Guru
Retro Guru

Just to finish the thread - I bolted it onto a bottom bracket - no problems and it actually cleaned the splines up a bit :

Cheers,