Yankee Funk - BEING REBUILT

ti_pin_man

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
This has just been delivered to chez ti_pin_man:

Funk Mtb Frame - Yankee paint job circa 92/93 by joe.handley.549, on Flickr

It looks like a 92 variant to me and I'm pretty sure its got to be the original paint job. But bizarrely it came to me from Leeds. I'm going to keep the paint job, its hideously gorgeous and is gloppingly thick paint but still a very light frame.

So next is working out the build.

Forks: I'm thinking Manitou 1 or 2 forks or maybe a rigid fork painted to match. It'll be hard to find an original fat funk fork so I'm going to have to look around and see whats out there. I think I have contacted with somebody with some Manitou 2's.

Groupo: I was thinking M900 xtr build or is this a bit early for that?

Options: Tioga disk drive on the rear - the on ebay currently doesnt look a good option, I had one back in the day and they were weak, so with anything in doubt like cut webbing I'll look for a better one.

I also have an idea on fitting SRAM betsy sifters and mech if i can find some... hens teeth and wrong era but they look brill with this frame.

I'm vagely trying to build to era but its my bike, I want to ride it and I'll build it the way I want not to be perfect to era.

OK, guys give me your ideas?

Re: Look at what just got delivered : The Yankee Funk Build

Painted Manitou fork and straight up M730 XT build would look the nuts on that.

IMHO Betsy is the only way to go on this build they are sometimes available just depends on how deep you wallet is ;)

Never been a lover of disk drives would love to see a pair of the red white and blue bullseye hubs on there though ;)

To be totally honest with you I pretty much think you could put anything you want on there that frame is so ermmm 'Unique' shall we say I don't think you could actually manage to over bling it :LOL: :LOL:

psinted manitou is a nice idea but dont think its old enough for m730 more akin to m735 or go xtr m900.

painted fork,,,, hmmm choose a colour, red white or blue? hmmmm

Yeah, I would love to see some Paul kit on there or bullet stuff, rigid Funk square fork would look great, otherwise Mani one forks...looking forward to this :)

Rich

you sure that is not a fake?

way to tell is to hit the top and seat tubes very hard with a big hammer, if it is a geniune Funk, then the tubes should collapse.

02gf74 - yeah i did the smash test and as this doesnt have funk sus forks it was fine, all stayed together. Troll. ;)

Rich, agree on Manitou 1 forks but cant find any at the moment, only seem to be 2 or 3's around. Or old rockshox. If i find one of these Man 2/3's or decent Mag21s I might buy as a stop gap and get painted to match the frame in some way. Until good Manitou 1's appear. I'd bite the hand off the owner of a decent big ole funk rigid fork.

dan_bo":2ie9q3ru said:
Weld a disc brake tab to it.

No way. Bling it with yankiee parts like Grafton & co Oh and parts in either black or silver. That will look a great build

Back