What frame is this? (first post)

beddybee

Dirt Disciple
First post here! So be nice! Just discovered this site after needing some help on an old Kona I purchased, there is nothing this place doesn't have!

Anyway, on a different topic, I was wondering if anyone had any idea what frame this is? I have had it from around 95/96, used it for a while, but it's been in my shed for at least 10 years. I bought it second hand as a complete bike, but have no idea what frame it is, any ideas?

Attachments

• frame.jpg
    frame.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 605
  • frame 2.jpg
    frame 2.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 605
  • frame 3.jpg
    frame 3.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 605
I'm looking at pictures of my Max and the frame is the same, particularly the tube profiles (flattened horizontally on the down tube and vertically on the top tube etc) and drop outs. Mine was indeed threaded headset - do you have the forks?

Bloody Fox also did a similar thing with tube profile manipulation on later bikes, but it was a more pronounced, visibly squarer shape.

Aside from the head tube size and colour it's identical to my pics.

Edit - what's the paint finish like? The Max Cromos had quite a thick nylon power coat finish.

Double edit - Google shows some fitted with Ahead, including a Max Cromo 21 which is a variant I've never come across.

quite thick indeed, very resistant to chips/scratches, it's got a slight metallic finish. Yep I have the forks, matching rigid threadless jobbies.

Have you a pic? I'm betting they're quite thick, very little taper and heavy looking drop outs in a similar style the rear.

I don't know the precise variant but your description of the paint firms up my belief it's a variant of Max Cromo. Capable, comfortable, not too weighty and robust. A very decent double butted 4130 cromo frame by any standards of the day but some get a sniffy over the name.

yeah sure i'll upload when i get home this evening> Your right, they don't really taper at all, just cut in near the dropouts.

hehe not one for the snobs I guess, but I always thought it was well made frame, and good ride and shape. I remember it came with pretty standard alivio group, possible acera, so not too specced up!

That way of fixing the rear dropouts to the stays is fairly distinctive and looks like those on other Raleigh Max Cromo frames.

It has a canti hanger bridge; when did V-brakes become popular? The canti hanger would date it earlier than that.

thanks for checking it out! Might have to build, should have enough bits lying around!

good point, could be earlier, it did come with shimano cantilevers originally I think...

Back