does everyone on here ride with a helmet?

raleighrider21

Retro Guru
just a quick question.
does everyone on here ride with a helmet?
i know ill probably get some hate and some moaning but i dont ride with one unless im on the trails down cannock chase...
ive just never really felt the need, had a few accidents but never really bothered with one, i do have a full face helmet for the chase but never found a "normal" helmet that fits and is comfortable,
so whats your views on helmets and do you ride with one?

Mountain biking, serious road riding and commuting = yes

going to the pub, no

Interesting question. It's a wonder this one hasn't been tackled before.

90% of the time I wear one. Maybe 60%.

Thinking about it, probably 50% but that is down to riding 'soft' trails since starting out again.

Dusty trails etc I don't tend to bother, no traffic and not exactly pushing it.

Any road riding or proper trails then I wear the lid :D

I just bought my first helmet 3 months ago...I'm 41. I wore it once....I just don't think much about it and forget to put it on. I think it will be like the seat belt in my car, I just have to get in the habit of using it-it was not a distraction at all like I thought it might be. I understand the need for them, nothing against them in any way. I suppose I do still think they look a bit ridiculous even though they are ubiquitous, but that's just personal preference.

I had a good laugh the other day though-I saw a couple guys with the opposite problem, they were headed down the highway in their car, still wearing cycling helmets! Hardcore.

im interested to see how many people do
i got into a argument with a bloke on a carrera road bike the other day, there he was in all his lycra, high vis jacket, helmet, sunglasses etc and he comes to the side of me and tells me to get a proper bike, start wearing a helmet and said hed push me off next time he saw me to teach me a lesson, argued a bit and left him in the dust.
i never really wear a helmet, i ride on road, through the local park, over golf courses, canal towpath and only time ill wear one is on hard trails.

:facepalm: .....another helmet thread...already. ;)

For the riding I do and where I am living, no not at all. Usually light off-road in forests (single track with very little technical stuff), lot's of gravel / fire roads, coastal paths, bike-paths, and occasional country roads to join the fun bits together. In the city I try to avoid the traffic laden roads by taking back streets.

Back