THICK brake cable

grogee

Retro Guru
Just been doing up a 1990 Technium.

The brake cables I took off it were enormous, much thicker than 'standard' brake cable size.

Also the cable guides are for much thicker cable outers than I'm used to.

From memory, I've generally seen the following 'sizes':

1) Gear cable, 'thin'
2) Brake cable for routing to canti yoke
3) Straddle wire

Has anyone got any idea what standard these are or does it just vary?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Interesting. I wonder if it was originally Tioga, as the headset for a Technium was/is a Tioga Avenger, and the stem looks like an Avenger copy.

Says it's 2.0mm cable, so I don't know if that's "standard" or "supersize" as per my original post.

It's £10 posted from USA which seems good value as long as the customs boys don't slap on a fat tax.

Is there one or two brakes' worth in the packet do you know? Looks like it could be one cable with two barrel ends...

yeah its the fat stuff. i have it on my bike. yes, its one cable, and one very long length of outer. the cable does have two ends, one is slighty different size to the other, must be for a lever other than shimano.

plus all the ferrules for the ends of the cables and rubber end caps to put over the cut ends of inner wire.

good seller, quick delivery. i just bought another set after posting this up...before they can't be found anymore :D

Back