Fads

kaiser

Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
MacRetro Rider
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Theres a few threads knocking about in 98+ with some folks calling some of the new stuff coming out a 'fad' , 29ers, fat bikes, 650b. It got me thinking, what fads have there been in the past that have truly went the way of the dodo? I'd venture 24" wheels but I'm not even sure that was too widespread. Anything else that was the emperors new clothes but has now vanished?

MTB Acerbis Handguards.

I had them fitted to my Rockhopper BITD:

KSCN0023.jpg

KSCN0024.jpg

First bitches.

Bar ends, 46'ers, elastomer suspension, rapid rise, biopace, hydraulic rim brakes, disc wheels, mag wheels, bottom brackets on the swing arm, single pivot, square taper, octalink, Muddy Fox, bottom pull...

widowmaker":276rk38x said:
Girvin flexstem :D

beat me to it!

if I recall, 24" wheels were big for jump bikes rather than mainstream mountainbikes BITD

riser bars with bracing struts?

I always thought hydraulic rims brakes were not such a fad as something that was too expensive originally, and was superseded by disc brakes. Interesting that SRAM are starting to make hydraulic road calipers....

ISIS Bottom brackets?

Square tapers, elastomers and bar-ends are obsolete, which isn't quite the same as faddish. They were around for a fair few years and used by virtually everyone, until other ideas took over.

Back