96/97 Judy SL's... Converting to disc?

GT-Steve

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
... Can they be converted to disc brake?

I fear I already know the answer to this question but thought I'd just check if someone ingenious on here has done the do??

Re: 97 Judy SL's...

I ran mine with the early Hope clamp so yes, if you can find something clampy...

3586386809_25d257c11e_m.jpg

I think so. Aren't the sliders the same dimensions as the later Judys and SIDs with disc tabs? The castings certainly look the same. I bought some SIDs last year to do just that but found a hole in the bottom of one leg so never got round to it. I could have a go tomorrow night or take some dimensions if it would help?

LGF - intriguing, if I can find something like that, so then it could be removed a later date...

Russ - if the outer legs turn out to be compatible that would be bloody awesome too... :cool:

Cheers guys

The lower legs from later forks are compatable, the cheapest forks are probably pilots or judys, SIDS will cost more I'd guess.

I think there's an issue with the diameter of the hole in the bottom of the legs for SIDs and Judys. I think SIDs had a larger hole to accommodate a valve or something. I'll have a fiddle tomorrow. I've got plants to compare to each other.

Get some 98+ Judy legs they have a tab on them.
if you get the SL then switch the decals and you keep the look.

FluffyChicken":35kc7lbv said:

Interesting... By legs, I assume refering to just the outers? And no need to faff with the stanchions?

GT-Steve":19no2mm7 said:
FluffyChicken":19no2mm7 said:

Interesting... By legs, I assume refering to just the outers? And no need to faff with the stanchions?

See below for swapping over the lowers from a pair of '99 SIDs with disc tabs with my own '97 Judys this evening. They work perfectly! I've had a shock seeing the innards of a set of forks I've not used for about five years but have owned from new. I guess there was some water in there. Still salvageable I think. The stanchions of the SIDs are in even worse nick.

Sorry for the crumby photos.

That's awesome thanks fella..

Is it as simple as unbolting the outers, swapping them over (with some new grease) and bolting them in/on?? And bobs your mothers brother?

Back