My special seatpost removal tool

futuristicoldman

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
This was dreamed up over a few drinkies at Fannys ale house one evening, one too many grim days had been spent with blistered hands trying to tease out posts from customers un loved bikes. My good friend took the beer mat scribblings home to sheffield with him and set to work in his free time in the engineering department. The main bar was turned down out of a stainless rod and about 10mm sliced off down its length. The bit that took forever im told was cutting the groove where the blade fits, I think he had a cnc machine running up and down it all day. Lil 4mm grub screws allow you to precisely set the depth of the blade so you can merrily saw away without worrying about slicing the frame to bits. The tool works best when cutting on the backstroke, the arm piece means you can apply constant pressure via the forearm to the leading edge of the blade without knackering your wrists.
Generally a nice lightweight pin will come out with a single cut, a thick walled pin will often need to have a segment removed but it can swing either way.
The pin shown had about 250mm stuck inside the frame and as you can see was well and truly corroded into place. This one took an hour and 15 minutes to remove, it is the longest pin I have attempted and as you can see it came out nice and cleanly. The mark you see on the frame is less than 1 10th of a mm deep, more of a scratch really.
I still dont jump for joy when I have to use this but it doesn't spoil my whole day like it once did.
Any royalties from copycat designs should go to my old amigo mr Chappell, he is a wizard amongst men.

Attachments

• t1.jpg
    t1.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 1,519
  • t2.jpg
    t2.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 1,520
  • t3.jpg
    t3.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 1,516
  • t4.jpg
    t4.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 1,515
  • t5.jpg
    t5.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 1,516
Thats's a good idea :cool:

I might need something like that soon :-(

Dads post - Ti frame / Factory fitted ally shim / carbon post ...

WD :D

That looks like a great tool to have.

I would very much like to see how you made it and what you used.

Thats just a hacksaw blade clamped by screws into a piece of alloy rod. So simple yet not thought of until now. Genius !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mind you, I suspect splitting the rod or cutting a groove acurately down its length without a decent bench power saw would be even more difficult than removing the post without this tool. Maybe replace rod with a couple of strips of alloy flat plate to make it easier.

Still genius though :D

Great tool. Interestingly though, how can a fairly "new" anodized post be stuck like that? Is it me or does that look like a thread lock compound on the post?

Woz":13atrdyi said:
Great tool. Interestingly though, how can a fairly "new" anodized post be stuck like that? Is it me or does that look like a thread lock compound on the post?

Thats what the roads are paved with in this neck of the woods.....salt and lots of it!

Latest posts

Back