tyre choice

Mike Muz

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
Hey there folks , can anyone advise on tyres/pressures for those nasty wet rooty things that catch us out from time to time ? Had a few moments the other evening on my Panaracer fire 1.8s although seemed to handle chalkland ok ? :?

I'm 76kg's and have most of my tyres at around 38 psi these days.

I have gradually been reducing from my long time standard of 45psi. Not sure why I used 45, but it always seemed to work in the past.

I'm a big fan of Fire XC Pro's, both in 1.8 and 2.1, also Trailrakers, although I have just started using 1.8 Charge Splashbacks on my 92 Caygill, and they are pretty good.

Cheers NeilM , i'm around 78kg and have both 1.8s and 2.1s . May switch to the bigger ones if it stays wet and drop my pressure

30 psi is too soft for the rocky trails of the Peak District that I usually ride. Too much chance of snake bites.
37 psi seems to be my preset figure.

Panaracer Fire's are a great all round tyre. I have a two blackwall pairs and a skinwall pair. All 2.1 inches though.
Lower pressures, especially on the front, do help on roots though.

I ride Fire trail XC Pros 2.1 at the front at 22PSI and a 1.8 at the back at 25PSI. Cope with roots fine like that, rolling over them. I come in at 56kg wringing wet. Not recommended for hurtling down hill at speed though unless you like fixing punctures

Thanks to everyone for your ideas , maybe I won't feel so nervous next time I'm on those trails . I was stupid enough to be running my 1.8 tyres at road pressures after riding to work on the road (50 psi !) as I don't have a presta tyre gauge and didn't want to let too much out and get a pinch puncture . Still feel like a novice despite not looking like one ! :roll:

I have to say it depends on the conditions and how much grip I need...In super wet gloopy mud where I am unlikely to get over 10mph then low pressure rules...on the harder packed trails I've been known to ride more like 50psi...then with slicks on the road 60! But I am a heavy git!

Back