Orange C16R seatpost (+ new (?) removal technique)

jaypee

Senior Retro Guru
I have a 94/5 model and it came with an Alico seatpost with. 26.4 stamped on it and a shim. It has that strange barrel type saddle attachment which I think I've seen on others so possibly original

On here it says 27.2 plus shim
http://orangebikes.co.uk/support/faq/us ... dimensions

The problem is its too big. Since the post is smaller than spec does that mean the shim is just way bigger than it should be? All very strange.

I've managed to get it out without damaging the frame (that was a hell of a struggle - was pretty worried about that!)

Never used a shim before, it says in that link the seat tube is 30mm so if I have a post that's 26.4 I guess I just ditch the old shim and get one that's 3.6mm?

All help appreciated as always!

Re: Orange C16R seatpost size

Have a look on the c16r thread - page 6. All the info is there.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=182168&start=75

I have a '95 C16r and it came with the 26.4 post that you describe, and a shim to the 29.8 seat tube. I'm just about to change to a 27.2 post and another shim. Shims are available in all the sizes you could want for a couple of quid.

Cheers Paddy that's helpful. Any thoughts on how to get a very thick shim out? It won't budge. I'll try penetrating oil but there's nothing to hold onto and I can't bend it in as its so thick.

jaypee":3esv99ak said:
Cheers Paddy that's helpful. Any thoughts on how to get a very thick shim out? It won't budge. I'll try penetrating oil but there's nothing to hold onto and I can't bend it in as its so thick.
Its probably alloy so get a pad saw or even just a hacksaw blade and cut through in one or two places so you can fold it in on itself if that makes sense :)

Cheers Paul

Re: Orange C16R seatpost size (+shim removal)

Thanks Paul but its split on both sides to about half way down (by design) but it's 3.4mm thick (or I suppose 1.7mm) and I couldn't push it in on itself.

jaypee":kneqy7o1 said:
Thanks Paul but its split on both sides to about half way down (by design) but it's 3.4mm thick (or I suppose 1.7mm) and I couldn't push it in on itself.
What about cutting it almost through on the other two sides and splitting it with a chisel ?
cheers paul

I may resort to that, though I'm a bit worried about nicking the frame, but why is it so difficult? Are
shims always this hard to remove? Is it because the post was so tightly wedged? It just seems such a faff (and why did Orange not just fit the correct size post???)

jaypee":21ag1g6z said:
Come on Paul I need answers!!!!!! ;-)

Calm down dear ! It'll get sorted with a little ingenuity :mrgreen:

Right - the shim that came out of my frame, which is the same year and I can only assume is factory..... looks like this:

Note the split down to the bottom inch or so on this side ^^

Also note the split all the way down on this side ^^

When I removed the shim from my frame, it was stuck fast too - by dried up old grease. All it took to get it out was inserting a flat blade screwdriver in the slot in the seat tube and opening it up very slightly on either side of the slot (not enough to damage the seat tube - just go easy). That was enough to break the 'glued in' nature of the grease that was in there. Then I used a drift against the lip of the shim in the slot, and tapped it out.

Give that a try :)

jaypee":30ipq9s4 said:
Come on Paul I need answers!!!!!! ;-)

Ha ha !! im sure if you tap it with a screwdriver through the slot in the frame , along the same lines as Paddy was saying it will shift , are you trying to save the shim or just get it out ?
Cheers Paul

Back