tire suggestions for 1997 Gt lts dh

chillibiker

Retro Guru
Hello for my newest project I'm building a 1997 Gt lts dh and just wondering what you guys suggest for period dh tires. What was the "it" tire back then?
Thanks

Hutchinson On The Rocks, Hutchinson Coyote, Michelin Transalp or Comp (I think they were around in '97), IRC Missile/El Gato, Panaracer Smoke/Dart 2.2 SC, Schwalbe Black Shark 2.2, Specialized Evil Twin Master/Control, about all I can think of off the top of my head.

Any ideas on how to get my hands on any of these tires I dont think any are still in prodution except for the dart/ somke.
Ps sorry for all the duplicate posts my phone went on the fritz when I posted the Topic can some one delete this otheres? :)

Same way the rest of us do, search and search and search and wait and search and wait some more.

What colour is your bike? Some of the irc range with the reddish sidewall look great depending on frame colour scheme.

I have some irc missile/el gato tyres lurking in the stash, was contemplating using on my sts but might stick with velociraptors.

Its looking like the final build will be
1997 Gt lts dh frame polished frame, black and yellow decals
1999 marzocchi z1 qr20 polished aluminum black and yellow decals
Bonz cranks ( made in bc) polished aluminum black decals
Syncros stem polished aluminum
Titec flat bar- black
Oury grips- black
Xt shift levers black
Xtr rear mech- black
Xt front mech- black
Magura hs33 race line d brakes- florescent yellow
Wheels silver xt paralax rear hub silver spokes silver sun ryno lite rims. Front black qr20 hub sliver spokes silver sun ryno lite rims
Selle xo seat black
Black seat post
Black fsa pig dh head set

Weren't Tioga Factory DH tyres out around 1997? Perhaps a little later...

EDIT: 1998 according to Mombat.

Tioga_Factory_DH_2_1.jpg

Still widely available too.

Well your spec isn't remotely like a period LTS-DH build IMHO, so I wouldn't be overly concerned about tyres from '99. Red stripe Maxxis high rollers, Tioga Factory DH, Michelin Hot, would be among the more common 97-2001ish tyres out there too.

Back