1992 Marin Team Issue all original - keep or dump it.

lauramcclure

Retro Newbie
Feedback
View
so... I used to race for Marin back in 1992 as an expert (downgraded to sport when I broke my leg and tore my gastroc in spring) . I got my Team Issue and the only thing I did was immediately put Manitou forks on it. Oh wait, Salsa end bars too. I have had it ever since - forks are shot but I hear there is a place to fix them. Frame is scratched up and I took the Marin stickers off, but you can still see Marin Tubing stamps etc.

Here is my problem... my husband keeps telling me to dump it that it's a piece of junk.. give it to goodwill.. .besides the 23 years I have had this bike, I think it's awesome and worth even rebuilding the forks. Someone else said if I don't redo the forks, all the new forks will throw the geometry off.... in doing research.. I hear - from some - it is one of the greatest frames ever made. My XTR doesn't work that great anymore - but it works.

Keep it or sell it - what do I tell my husband. I think it's cool. If I keep it, suggestions where to get Manitou fixed or parts? Moving from Chicago to San Diego. Have to decide if it's worth keeping hauling (raced in Northern CA and have moved it to to Sac, Reno, Vegas, all over AZ and now to IL) - will new shock forks throw the geometry off? I'd hate to put anything NEW on it. Worse case scenario, make it my beach cruiser? dump it?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lmcclureph ... 368264772/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lmcclureph ... 368264540/

cant get images to work

With Grundig pedigree I'd keep it, refresh the forks and look on here for some of our Yankee cousins selling M900 and get it spruced back up...

Thanks Rich... glad I joined... I am pretty attached to this bike, hard to explain, but trying to decide if I am being ridiculous in wanting to keep it. I used to be sooo into bikes, hoping the move back to CA will help get me back more into it. I need to find someone to help me rebuild the forks then.

It's nice to hear from like-minded people... so, it's NOT junk! lol. Hoping for more ammo on this page to argue to keep it.

If i had raced for marin there is no way id dump it. Pass it on or refresh it, maybe.

Lucky you, the often suggested supplier of such bouncy fork spares is on your side of the atlantic.

http://www.suspensionforkparts.net/

Modern sus forks with large travel will meddle with the geometry so, keep to that era with other manitou, marzocchi, rock shox etc...
Get it freshened up and put some pics up. We love a marin on here!

welcome. :cool:

Thanks y'all. I guess I also feel guilty he sold his old bike after we talked about maybe doing it... He didn't race... I didn't know him back then... But the added history is cool. I could see myself on my bike and not a new one. Guess I need to take some bike classes and relearn all the stuff I forgot so I can take care of it properly

Woah! Keep it! As you may have guessed from this site there is now a massive movement to ride and repair old bikes. Yours has extra kudos being an ex-team bike. That's a great pic of you racing.

Welcome to RetroBIKE.

SP

Am going to say the same as the other guys above,
Keep it,get some xtr m900 (that's the correct shimano serial number for the groupset for the year your bike already has on it)

You can get new elastomer kits for the forks still and you can get new decals from a few guys on here! (Gill_m on this site)

Then it will be like new!!
Do you still have your old grundig race plates with your race number on still??
Would be very cool if you do!!

Welcome to the forum :D

Definitely keep it - I very much doubt anyone will come on here and suggest you sell it (unless they want to buy it ;) )

If I got a chance to get back any one of my bikes from back in the day I'd jump at the chance. Like others have said, the forks can be rebuilt and parts can be replaced - you'd be mad to let it go :D

You're really asking us?? We are the 'keepers' in the MTB-world!!

You'd probably just want some confirmation from us! Well, you got it! Keep it!! One day, all of us will be looking for our first MTB or the bike we had good memories of... This one is yours, so keep it and restore it like it was back in those days. Lots off people on here will be willing to help you!

Latest posts

Back