Cutting brake cable outers

I have a pair of what I call grandad pliers, old rust coloured but will open anything and cut through owt nice an cleanly.

hamster":16knlqf3 said:
I use standard cable cutters for the outer, then grind the end flat on the bench grinder.
The Hamster is correct :cool:

And this reminds me of something else. BITD I used to solder the end of my cable inners rather than using crimps. It's neater and you can take the cables in & out as much as you like without faffing with new crimps every time and they won't fray. Modern cables won't take the solder, I assume due to some kind of anti-friction coating. Is there any way of removing that coating ? Solvent, acid ??

+1 for the Park Tools type of cable cutter; plus I use a fine file if I think I haven't cut it cleanly enough...

usual method is using some proper cable cutters (Park, BBB, Shimano etc), and if needed then use a file to smarten the ends up.

WD Pro":1w47lidv said:
Dremel does a great job on the outers :

DSC03851.jpg

Any quality snips will do the inners and gear cable outers :D I got some of those pbk ones when they were on special, very good and also did a nice job on the goodridge outers :D still worth finishing with wet n dry though ;-)

WD :D

Latest posts

Back