Is Retro faster?

Logic.Al

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Is retro faster than modern? I rode my 456 yesterday to work for the first time in a while. My M-Trax feels much much quicker than the 456. It felt soft and ponderous compared to the stiff quick feel of the M-Trax. But the angles aren't far off each other so not sure it's down to that. And on road I tend to lock out the forks too.

Yes and no. It depends what you are comparing.
Many of us around here ride with Strava.
I ride retro and a lot of others do. We're in the top 10 of 60 odd people on most segment. I'm top on a few. My 'modern' 1997 is faster than my older ones in most places.
The proper modern guys are well ahead on any fast downward slope with large rooty or rocky bumps.

A lot can be the gearing, to up and downhill. You just spin compact 42/44-11 out before 46/48-11.
Up hill my 22 modern front is so much easier and gives more options than the 26 of the older bikes do. But it does mean I have to go quicker up the hills on the 26-28 ratios to keep the bike going.

After that I find tyres play a big part in how fast you can ride generally.

I will say, 'feel' means nothing now I reread the post.
I feel faster on my old Fusion than the other bikes.
Strava logging says otherwise, even places I was convinced I was faster/slower.

Well, I'm retro too and I know I'm the slowest of the bunch... mostly ;-) :cool:

Oh you mean bikes? Maybe it depends? If I compare my Stumpjumper to my old (I've sold it) Scott Scale 20 bike, I have to say that the Scott was defenately the fatser one (maybe even the fastest bike I ever owned). But if I take my Attitude (rigid) and compare to the Scott Scale, I think they might be the same. So it could be me, but maybe it's brand dependant?

Or maybe I'm just talking a lot of b*ll*x here :oops:

In many instances I feel that it is possible to construct a retro bike and produce a 'fast' bike. This is probably a direct consequence of the attention to detail and the desire to pursue excellence. Maybe, the feeling of speed, is the end product of our efforts to minimise friction in mechanical movement and it manifests itself in reduced rolling resistance.
A colleague in a shop and I, built a Sabbath Silk Road for me.
It felt responsive, light and lightning fast. I loaned the bike to a regular customer for a Saturday club race, while we had his same bike in for an upgrade. He returned the bike with huge praise and uncontrolled enthusiasm. He did not win, but came close.
His assessment was that it was faster, smoother and 'tighter'
We agreed to strip and rebuild his month old Silk Road.
After using his rebuilt machine for the next race he enthused that it was the same as my bike and that this is what he meant by 'tighter'.
Responsive, Intuitive are words often used these day to describe characteristics of bikes. Such descriptions are to draw us in, to have us believe that the bike is 'alive' and can decide how to perform.
The truth is that we decide how a bike performs, we reap the reward of our efforts and integrity.
If a bike, old or new feels fast, it is fast. The most important distance that a bike can travel is the six inches between our ears.

Latest posts

Back