Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:38 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:54 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Less than that, depending on traffic.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:16 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

NeilM wrote:
Less than that, depending on traffic.

Neil has furnished me with the lovely STS frame pictured. I spent a bit of time polishing the thermoplastic and alu rear end and it has come up a treat, though a little more on the alu would not hurt. Slapped on a chris king headset in black as well. I also accidentally knocked out one of the inner cable, grrrr, that was frustrating putting that back in, and will need to play it really safe when fitting new cables.

So, what to do with the build? Wheels will be spinergy xyclones courtesy of Peter, so when they arrive I would like to have the rest done.

Frame has a silver seat post so will stick with that and bung on a saddle from the collection, so what do we think on a silver control-tech or syncros stem? Bars will be either profile carbon (they actually look like the thermo plastic finish), or controltech in black.

Groupset is the quandary - do I take the easy option and fit m952 (as I have some not in use right now), or should I remove the M970 from my team RTS and bolt that on (pic of the RTS below for reference).

I could also go as far as going M770 shifters and mechs, m750 cranks, or more or less all m739.

Forks will probably be taken from the RTS as well (Fox Talas RLC), but whatever happens to the RTS, it will either get the m952 if I strip it, or may even get restored back to m900.

What do we think people, which direction should I take?

Attachments:
IMG_1969.JPG
IMG_1969.JPG [ 337.89 KiB | Viewed 262 times ]
IMG_1048.JPG
IMG_1048.JPG [ 179.01 KiB | Viewed 262 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:30 pm 
Retro Guru
Retro Guru

The wheels will suit that very well ... 8)

WD :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:30 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Rampage wrote:
M739 would suit it better, the gray of XTR wouldn't look right IMHO.

I dunno, I'm sucker for era correct parts...well as much as possible.

This is my recent build....all XTR except the rear derailerur

good luck with the build!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:15 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Cheers. M952 is the easiest option, but I think m970 will look better. In all honesty, aside from the mechs, it looks pretty similar to m952 aside from being black/silver instead of grey/blue. M952 would help tie in the forks though.

I have mocked up a few forks in the short amount o spare time I've had, and a set of SIDS look a bit weedy at the front end, the Noleen carbon forks I have look good, but after sitting the frame on some fox forks (not the set I plan to use), they look beefier and sit better with the frame construction/burlyness than those mentioned. A few others to try - x-fly I'm black/silver, pace rc36 an for a crack, lawwill leaders, but I don't think any of them will carry it off as well as the fox forks. I wish my ox forks were black as it would help the groupset decision a bit, but the sts decals are blue and grey, so work to some degree (well I'm telling myself that anyway).

The frame is not light, so any nod to weight saving is going to help.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:16 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Oh, I should have mentioned I like what you've done with yours, colour scheme works a treat!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:44 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

How's it coming Ian?

I have finally finished piss ars... erm I mean carefully selecting parts for the DeKerf, and I'm now on the hunt for parts.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:51 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

NeilM wrote:
How's it coming Ian?

I have finally finished piss ars... erm I mean carefully selecting parts for the DeKerf, and I'm now on the hunt for parts.

Mostly polishing the back end and other parts to make it shiny, though I did manage to get rid of the mark from the front of the top tube, which I wasn't expecting.

Took a few snaps of various forms for comment, will post up later once I've had time to get them off the phone.

I wa thinkin the noleens would look best, but in a strange twist, I think a set of fox forx or strangely, some amp forks look the best from the options I have.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:32 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

ishaw wrote:
I did manage to get rid of the mark from the front of the top tube, which I wasn't expecting.

That's cool. It has been there since day 1 and I assumed it was just something I would always have to live with, nicely done.

I looked at Fournales forks a few times, and bought a set of Girvins at one point that I rebuilt and polished (they do buff up well), so I would have thought the Noleens would be a good choice; but until you have all the bits in front of you, you really don't know how it's going to look as a whole.

I'm fascinated to see how it all works out.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:27 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Right, aside from the Marzocchis which I haven't tried yet, what do people think of the following options? The Fox forks I intend to use aren't the ones pictured, they are dark grey, but it saved having to take some off a bike.

Personally I think the Fox forks look better as they are beefier, but I was genuinely surprised at how well the Amps in carbon looked, as I was expecting the Noleens to look better??

Let me know what you think, as between tonight and tomorrow night I hope to hang it all together in waiting for the wheels to arrive on Tuesday/Wednesday.

Attachments:
IMG_1988.JPG
IMG_1988.JPG [ 239.48 KiB | Viewed 209 times ]
IMG_1989.JPG
IMG_1989.JPG [ 245.13 KiB | Viewed 209 times ]
IMG_1990.JPG
IMG_1990.JPG [ 241.59 KiB | Viewed 209 times ]
IMG_1991.JPG
IMG_1991.JPG [ 249.42 KiB | Viewed 209 times ]
IMG_1992.JPG
IMG_1992.JPG [ 237.57 KiB | Viewed 209 times ]
IMG_1993.JPG
IMG_1993.JPG [ 235.14 KiB | Viewed 209 times ]
IMG_1994.JPG
IMG_1994.JPG [ 250.36 KiB | Viewed 209 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next