Need some inspiration (Rocky Mountain content)

raidan73

Archivist
Retrobike Rider
BoTM Triple Crown
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
98+ BoTM Winner
Rocky Mountain Fan
Brodie Fan
Feedback
View
I'm having a bit of a dilemma in the man cave at the moment, mostly revolving around my 1992 RM Blizzard, mostly. I always wanted a Rocky Mountain back in the day and this is the third (and best) one I've owned, all since joining the forum. I've had it for many months now, other things have come and gone but the Blizzard has stayed. I've not really done very much with it since it arrived. I bought some Syncros Rev's for it a while back but had to let them go to release some cash for a car repair bill. I have the original headset, Sharkfin, seat QR, stem, bars, post and saddle plus a Syncros post in the correct size. It came with some Rockshox when I bought it but I fortunately already had some Powerlites that fit the bill nicely.
The question is, why do I keep overlooking it and concentrating on other builds? I've contemplated selling it a couple of times but I don't really want to part with it. Perhaps it's because I sold the Rev's and nothing else will look quite as good. I really need some inspiration to get this one back on track as there always seems to be at least one build ahead in the queue. Oh, and it's minty too!

dscf4792m.jpg

sbfg.jpg

I would never part from this frame (and I own exactly the same). There aren't that many of these around and yours seems to have the original paintjob in the rare to find option white scheme. Most '92 Blizzards were delivered in the brochure spec colour scheme, that was black top and white bottom. The story goes that Rocky Mountain was not able to get the '92 Blizzards ready in time with the black/white colour scheme so the first batches they delivered to the shops were in this rare option white colour scheme. By default fitted with a black Tange Struts fork though, but the rare white Powerlite fork you fitted is definitely a good match.

Inspiration hmmmm... what about building it up with a nice set of XC Pro?

You could always sell me your Implant frame and free up the funds to focus on this ;)

This RM is a great frame especially with those forks :)

Sounds to me like you had your mind set on a certain build, and that now you know, you can't accomplish that build you have lost interest, personally I think that RaceFace turbines always look great on Rocky Mountains and are an awful lot cheaper than Rev's ;) :D

Thanks for the replies. I think the XC Pro option would be nice but too costly at the moment. I'm thinking about maybe building it up with parts that I already have and perhaps riding it will motivate me to finish it properly.

Thanks for the offer to buy my Implant by the way ;)

I'm afraid I can't really empathise. If you're saying you've never built the bike up let alone ridden it, and yet you have contemplated selling it, I couldn't understand that. To me the first question is whether you like the way the bike handles and rides. Issues like what kind of cranks you put on it won't make any difference at all.

I would just build it with whatever comes most readily to hand, and go out and ride it. If you like it, improve the build later. If you don't like it all that much, sell it.

Rockies are great bikes if they suit your riding style, but they don't suit everyone.

Anthony":3rvlsgab said:
I'm afraid I can't really empathise. If you're saying you've never built the bike up let alone ridden it, and yet you have contemplated selling it, I couldn't understand that. To me the first question is whether you like the way the bike handles and rides. Issues like what kind of cranks you put on it won't make any difference at all.

I would just build it with whatever comes most readily to hand, and go out and ride it. If you like it, improve the build later. If you don't like it all that much, sell it.

Rockies are great bikes if they suit your riding style, but they don't suit everyone.

Thanks for the reply Anthony. I'm not looking for empathy and like you suggested (and my previous post) I think I'll just build it up with what I have. I've previously had a Hammer and a Fusion from a similar era and loved riding both of those, particularly the Fusion (Hammer only got some light road use), so I've a reasonable idea of what to expect - except hopefully even better. I think posting was more a self help exercise :LOL: Seeing it written on the screen has given me the kick up the backside I need to get it built.

Its a labour of love man! I've had bikes come and go and sometimes you gotta do what you have to do to make you happy. I currently own a 1992 Stratos that has been sitting dormant for a year. I have the Yeti build that just needs some finish touches with it that I acquired at the same time but in the long run I know I want to do it right. I think its more about patience rather than motivation. Rumpfy showed me that one on the Yeti build! Revs come and go but you'll get another set to finish the Blizzard! Hang in there!

Back