The History Man

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Overbury's Fan
Feedback
View
Currently have two selle xo saddles and a specialized body geometry race saddle on my MTBs that are well suited to me. whats the difference or can these be used on my new road bike as current saddle is a mare. looking for a replacement so should I just get another xo/sec or are the issues different?

Looking at a selle San Marco us postal in blue to match the bike. Yes no? I know it's subjective but was wondering as presumably stance very different ona road bike so do saddles transfer or do I start the search again?

Thanks THM

Road saddles are usually narrower to provide clearance for prolonged spinning in a very specific bike-fit position?

Find one that you are comfortable on, thats the main thing.
You can switch saddles between road bike & mtb bike no problem.
Road saddle stend to be more "cut away" than MTB saddles, and of course DH MTB saddles are like big long armchairs so probably not much use on a road bike.

I've used the same Flite saddle on bot road and MTB, suits me and I find it comfortable...

The rear contour of the saddle may differ. A decent MTB saddle will have a rear contour which aids the rider dropping behind the saddle for steep downhill obstacles (a shape which deliberately mimmicks the space between your legs/groin). If you fit a road saddle on an MTB you're maybe more likely to snag your b@lls or inner thighs when remounting. I was looking at this aspect in my local Specialized shop and the profile at the rear of the saddles is quite different.
Don't see any real problem with MTB saddle on a road bike for general use but the pros would no doubt say otherwise.

Back