1992 Schwinn Paramount PDG 90 - Suntour XC Pro Groupset

cyclinggardener

Retro Guru
Morning All.

I put a post in the What's This Worth thread but didn't get much response so I thought I'd try posting in here and asking what to do with it rather than what it's worth.

The bike in question was donated to Cranks - the volunteer run bike shop in Brighton - http://www.cranks.org.uk - a few weeks ago.

It's a beautiful bike with cast lugs and Tange Precision tubing. Paramount is like Raleigh's Dynatec or M-Trax, Schwinn's attempt to separate their high end bikes from the rest of the range. And Series 90 is the top of that range.

We've cleaned it up, though it could do with some more work I think. There's some rust on some of the bolts and the saddle looks like a cat has used it as a scratching post (grrr) but other than that it's in amazing original condition, even down to the grips, chain, tyres and toe clip straps.

The other ones I've seen online have different decals, with Paramount on the downtube whereas this has Schwinn. I assume this is because this one was sold in Germany (still has the bike shop sticker on the top tube) rather than in USA.

So. What to do with it? Someone has already asked for some parts if it's split but that seems crazy to me. There's one similar (the previous year) in similar condition on ebay.com for $3000 :shock: Should we just replace the saddle and rusty bolts and put it on ebay.com and prepare to ship it back to USA?

Would the fact that the decals are non standard increase or decrease the value? Is there any interest in the here? Should I remove the bike shop sticker?

Any feedback very welcome.

Attachments

• schwinn-paramount-1.jpg
    schwinn-paramount-1.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 1,587
  • drivetrain.jpg
    drivetrain.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 1,586
  • bars.jpg
    bars.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 1,587
  • forks.jpg
    forks.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 1,589
  • rear-mech.jpg
    rear-mech.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 1,588
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Ooh, nice!......that will sell, probably more quickly in a us market place. Value is a subjective thing, plenty of stuff overpriced on eBay that never gets a bid, so be open minded there, but it looks great.....good components on an honest frame......if you have a similar period saddle then swap it over, if not then don't, I wouldn't be put off by it, it is 20 years old after all!.....
...... Advertise it with utter honesty and let it find its spot.......

.....nice bike......great name, individual, nice components, great colour too!.....

Oh, and I would leave the shop sticker too......will take a moment to sort if it offends any new owner, and it adds to the story of the bike...... :D

Are they stheno rims too?......nice!......the more I study those pics the nicer that looks!......

Thanks for the feedback feetabix!

They're Atek rims actually.

I'll attach pics of the saddle and the sticker so more informed views can be sought. I can get a similar saddle for £30. The bike shop sticker isn't complete and I think it looks a bit scruffy, that's why I was thinking about removing it. I agree that the buyer can remove it if they want tho.

Attachments

• bike-shop-sticker.jpg
    bike-shop-sticker.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 1,560
  • saddle.jpg
    saddle.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 1,560
Aaah.....yeah, I see now.....the tyres are on the wrong way round, and the saddle would be better replaced to not take the shine off the bike as a complete unit......it's generally accepted that you will make more cash by splitting it (provided you don't mind the extra hassle of multiple posting) so I guess you need to make the decision either way and run with it.......are the proceeds for charity?.....I fall into the camp of 'its a shame to split it up', but there are plenty of us who can give the parts a good home....... :D

Blimey, you've got good eyes for detail. I thought the tyres were symmetrical but sure enough they're both the wrong way round.

I think I'll take your advice and replace the saddle, it's just annoying me as it is.

I'd really rather not split it. Partly because I don't have the time. Partly because it'd feel a bit like taking parts off a puppy to sell for slightly more cash.

Cranks isn't a registered charity so technically no, proceeds aren't for charity. It's a completely voluntary run DIY bike workshop where we mostly help people fix their variously unglamorous bikes. This is far and away the nicest bike we've had donated. The (one careful, female :) ) owner was told that it was probably worth a bit of money but she said she had no use for it.

Anyway, all the proceeds will go to Cranks.

Some more pics, there are loads of really nice details on the frame.

Attachments

• seat-cluster.jpg
    seat-cluster.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 1,542
  • tange-precision.jpg
    tange-precision.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 1,542
  • front-mech-cable-guide.jpg
    front-mech-cable-guide.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 1,542
Schwinn don't have much of a following this side of the Atlantic sadly.

Still easily worth £200 alone for the parts hanging off it. Find someone who really wants it and they'd probably go to ~£300.

I'd give you £2-300 for it, but not much more. And I'm a big fan of the XC Pro. Ebay is full of dreamers, so I'd say the $3000 is not realistic. You can ask anything you want, but getting someone to buy it is another matter. The people in the U.S. who do pay big money for a Schwinn, want a classic bike, not a newer retro one like this.

Don't hesitate to PM me if you want to work something out.

Back