Bare Metal frame - How many days is OK?

Midorimage

Old School Hero
I have a Reynolds 531 frame that I just stripped to the bare metal. I bought some enamel paint in a rattle can, that I am having doubts on. I might get it powder coated, but it could take a week or so. Would it be ok to leave it with out paint for that time of length?

Also would it be OK to do a quick build up and ride around the block on a bare metal frame?

Of course I would resand and degrease it after use.

If you have the frame powder coated they will blast-clean it first anyway so you may as well indulge yourself in the meantime :cool:

We_are_Stevo":3d8u8zxl said:
If you have the frame powder coated they will blast-clean it first anyway so you may as well indulge yourself in the meantime :cool:

From reading on here, not all the coaters follow that procedure ... :-(

WD :D

They should. Metal starts to rust as soon as it gets into contact with humid air. There's no way you can prepare the frame on the coater's behalf, he is the only one who can get it from the preparation to the primer in time.

If you want to know how fast, Gravy Monster's Kona Rat had some oxidation in a matter of hours, and it started to rust before his eyes the minute he applied some water.

@ RB, I know they 'should' but from reading on here, not all of them do ... :LOL:

I wouldn't have anything done at one that didn't though ;-)

WD :D

Raging_Bulls":2t03ff2b said:
They should. Metal starts to rust as soon as it gets into contact with humid air. There's no way you can prepare the frame on the coater's behalf, he is the only one who can get it from the preparation to the primer in time.

If you want to know how fast, Gravy Monster's Kona Rat had some oxidation in a matter of hours, and it started to rust before his eyes the minute he applied some water.

Rat still going strong :LOL:

If you want to keep the bare metal aesthetic without the rust, then anchor wax or boiled linseed oil are meant to be a good rust inhibitors.

I've come across dragsters & funny cars in the past with bare steel frames and they rub bees wax on the to prevent rust.

Steel (& iron) want to return to there natural state (ore) and what you're trying to do is stop it happening by preventing it reacting with the oxygen in the air

In the past when I've left bare steel be it a bike frame or a car part for any length of time I've coated it in oil & wrapped it in cling film, or worse case spray a light coat of red oxoide paint on it.

Going back to you're original question, how long depends on many factors mainly the grade of steel and the environmental conditions which it's kept in.

Given the current heat wave you'll probably get away with leaving it for a couple of weeks but if the weather goes back to is typically damp self I wouldn't risk it for quite as long.

Latest posts

Back