It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:34 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: Re: Ribble R4 Frame ???
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:26 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

IGSB27 wrote:
What do you think of this fork in relation to my Frame£110

If you look on the eBay forum here, that seller is notorious for asking twice as much as a reasonable price for his stuff. It does look in good condition externally, but you shouldn't have to pay anything like that, especially for a 97 Z2 needing a service. The 98 ones are a better bet, with slightly more travel and a bit lighter, especially the Z2 Light with an alloy steerer. This one weighs c4.4lbs, a 98 Z2 Light c3.75lbs, for comparison the 97 Judy SL c3.5lbs.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:47 pm 
Dirt Disciple

It seems to be the only Marzocchi z2 I can find if someone happen to come across one can thay post it as a reply preferably a 98 in working serviceable condition. any suggestions on other forks I have a budget of £100 - £120 for something special as I'm building this bike as my one and only bike to last and maintain.

Post subject: Starting new post
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:54 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Going to start new post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:30 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Location: He doesn't live in "The You-Kay"; he lives in GREAT BRITAIN!
Anthony wrote:
The R4 frame used to sell for c£175 and was made from double-butted 7005. A 1997 advert says that with full XT and a Judy SL, it would have been £1,275 and quite a nice bike at a bargain price.

It would be interesting to know what it weighs, but on the basis of Total Bike's test of a smaller frame, I would guess c1.65kg for a size 19 (allow 100g for the headset cups and seat clamp). That would suggest a xc-level tubeset spec, rather than anything more heavy-duty.

The Total Bike test criticised it for having over-fast handling, but that's actually a good thing because they tested it with a P2 fork to get the price down, so the twitchy handling suggests that it needed a longer fork. Which is what you want to fit.

I don't know whether there was any link, but soon after that ignorant review, Ribble stopped offering mtb frames. I think they have continued to have a good reputation for road frames.

To be honest, you won't get much appreciation on Retrobike for riding a Ribble R4, but that's because people on here seem to think that bling-type decals are more important than what the frame actually is. They could tell you how much better their frame is than yours, if only they could catch you up.

I've got a 17" one which I haven't built up yet, weight is 4lb. I would say about 16 or 17 years old is fairly accurate as they still had rear cantilever cable stops. Construction wise mine has much neater welds than more illustrious aluminium frames such as Orange Aluminium O's. I did contact Ribble to see if they could help date mine or anything but the reply I got was distinctly unhelpful, in contrast to the replies other forum members have had when they've contacted Orange or Pennine for example about old bikes.

Attachments:
PICT3658.JPG
PICT3658.JPG [ 88.23 KiB | Viewed 217 times ]

Post subject: Re: Ribble R5 Frame ????
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:50 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Yer just got the Frame today the welds are really nice

Attachments:
File comment: 2.325 KG
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 91.35 KiB | Viewed 205 times ]
image.jpg