Marinovative Cheap Trick brakes with canti levers?

Void(EN12-82)

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Howdy guys,

Got a quick one for ya:

I've just got a set of Marinovative Cheap Tricks, early V-brakes from what I know. I wanna use them on my S-Works Carbon, since it's got an FSX fork and I absolutely hate the CAM setup :oops: So uhm, do these work with M900 levers that anyone knows of? I've been searching on the net and found one dude having them setup with M900 brakes, so my guess would be yes :?:

Otherwise, what would be a period correct setup? Since these were something like ages before Shimano V-Brakes I don't think using M950 levers would be right... how were they used back in 1993 when they came out and nobody had V-levers available yet (or did they, surely not Shimano)??

Any ideas about this? To be honest, the brakes are very very interesting and pretty cool too :shock: :cool:

Void

Lovely brakes...I thought you could only set them up with V brake levers..Avid Ultimates would be nice. I do not think they are as old as you think...circa 96/97 ish????

Well, AFAICF (As Far As I Can Find) there's two types:

I think these are later ones:
marincheap.jpg

And these:
9001062.jpg

I actually have the lower ones, but in red. There's this little tube-thingie that puts the cable hose/guide in the middle of the brake, not on the outside like the top one has (and Shimano/Onza/Avid/etc ones too). So my guess is they'd be kinda operating as "centre-pull" brakes and don't need as many cable pull? Or maybe I'm wrong, but I noticed this difference when I was looking for info.

I'll try them with M900 levers anyway and see what happens... "REAL" V-Brakes on a 1993/1994 bike is not done in my book anyway :oops: So I was actually very happy I've found those brakes. They should be from around 1993 or 1994 from what the previous owner told me, so that's why I was hoping to get rid of the CAM system and still be correct (yes I know, but it actually does matter in my head).

What period-appropriate levers pulled the most cable?
I know Campag Record and Icarus pull loads and so do XLite Chicken Stix iirc

What an interesting question as I've always assumed they would be run with v brake levers. I have several sets but most of my bikes use cantis so I haven't even gotten to your question yet.

You're right. Ben capron made them and he was just a kid so he didn't think to patent it and prob also didn't have the funds. Unfortunately, shimano totally ripped them off. He's still in the industry last I heard and is doing well.

I know somebody with them on his bike so ill try to remember to ask...unless you've already tried some levers?

Seem to remember that the originals were made out of aluminium window channel. These were early, much earlier than 1996/7 - From Mombat http://mombat.org/MOMBAT/BikeHistoryPag ... ative.html :
How old where you when first showed brakes at Interbike? It was September 1989, I was 18.

There were other brakes that needed a long pull lever - like the IRD switchback. Just meant you had to run them close to the rim. They certainly weren't designed for V brake levers, just work better with!

Nope, haven't tried anything yet. Been out riding and fishing, the weather is too bl**dy good now ;-) But I'll get to it maybe this weekend or somewhere next week, and I'll hook them up to my M900 levers.

If they have to be really close to the rim that does mean I have to take out the Tioga Disc, since it'll rub the rim then (those discs give sideways a bit).

I'll let you know how it turns out with my M900 levers...

Hello all.
I hope you don't mind me trying to revive a 10 year old post, but these brakes are beautifully simple in design aren't they?
Anyway, the real reason is to ask the o.p. Void(EN12-82) if you ever came to any conclusions about the levers?
Thanks, Andrew.

Back