Pro Flex 856 et al rear shock options

Proflex656

Devout Dirtbag
Hi Guys,

I know this one might have been done to death in the past....but could I ask what you are using on your 856's ( and similar ) please ?

My bike is great, all nice and tight, fixed and sorted with the exception of the standard non ODS rear shock.

It's ok, it's a rider, but I have a couple of issues....are they "all like that Sir" or is there anything I can improve ?
I know they are a bit bouncy...I can handle that but... riding a standard non damped unit, with 2 issues that bug me...

1. The preload collar decides to lose it's preload and then needs taking apart to get the threads to engage and load up the spring again. Tried all sorts to fix it, but it seems to work loose over a maybe 10 mile ride...

2. I get a small amount of "wag" on the back end.
There is a bit of up and down movement in the complete shock, rear strut assembly between the upper and lower pivots...is this normal ?
This movement is in the opposite plane to the suspension movement, which is tight and true.
Shock pivots and bushes are all good....is this a symptom of a worn shock unit internally ?

Has anyone got a list of options for the Pro flex rear end.....with or without adapters that would need making up ? Fox....etc etc..

( I know the Risse shocks are cool.....but way to expensive for me and this bike right now )

Anyone got a ODS unit to sell at a reasonable cost ?

Thanks all - jr

If the spring load collar keeps working loose, could you use a bit of threadlock to keep it in place?

The "wag" you describe, sounds like something may be worn somewhere, pivot bushes, washers, swingarm bushes etc.

The adapter that someone had made up for my 857 allowed the use of a Fox Float shock with 165mm eye-to-eye measurement.
The drawings for the adapter were posted on here and also the idriders Proflex forum, so have a search around.

The Risse shocks occasionally come up for sale used/2nd hand, so keep your eyes open.
The Risse units seem to be quality items, and for a new shock not priced too badly when compared to Fox et al.

If you have a Noleen NR2 or NR4 I believe a motorcycle dealer "Mick Gardener Racing" can rebuild the shock for around £30 or so (they are an Ohlins dealership), so that may be another option.

Hi...Thanks for the info.
I have a couple of options in mind now....
I'm going to have a closer look at the Noleen and Risse shocks, I probably prefer the Risse shock, but it all depends on what comes available.

I have the drawings for the adapter from the ID riders forum, I can get these made up,so I might look at the that avenue if Plan A doesn't happen.

Did fancy a ODS with a spring, just for simplicity, but they do seem a bit thin on the ground.

Cheers for now - jr

Latest posts

Back