Posting a frame to Europe?

Wold Ranger

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
I have a frame sold, to go Europe, but it's all looking very expensive at around £75/£80 plus VAT!
It's not the weight, but the 120cms packed length. Only a few couriers will ship over 100cms or need a business account. DHL, Parcel Force, TNT are all the same on price and most won't go over 100cm
Any ideas? :( :( :?

If it's somewhere interesting, get a cheap flight, carry it out & make a weekend of it.

Unfortunately same applies, the buyer is visiting relatives here soon and it will cost the same as hold baggage, not weight but size. Looking like it's pay up, or no go, Ironically post back the other way from most countries is about a quarter what we have here these days :?

I recently had a similar dilemma when thinking of shipping a whole bike to my inlaws in Italy. I was quoted about £60 by the post office. However to add "sporting equipment" to my flight out there was only £27 with easyjet so i did that.

If the purchaser is coming this way, maybe suggest that?

Rich

I sent a frame to denmark using Parcel2go (UPS) with out any problems at all. Cost under £50 (though I cant remember exactly how much).

Is it a tandem?
If not, why does it need a 120cm box?
It's easy enough to get a large (21") frame in a 99x60cm box. If the box is too big, cut it down!

What are the final weight, dimensions and country?

I put some rough ideas (5Kg, 120x50x20 to Germany?) into Postage Supermarket (who we often use at work).
Came out as £43+VAT to Germany via TNT Express (Business addresses at each end only for parcels over 100cm), or £21.17+VAT with Parcelforce Europe.

Parcel2Go can do similar cost with Parcelforce as above, or Parcel2Go standard (actually UPS) for £21+VAT or FedEx for £35.52+VAT.

All the best,

It measures 102 cm from the head tube outer to the tip of the drop outs, so with a good layer of bubble wrap, it will be 120cm. It's a Pace RC 200 and yes they have a long top tube and chainstays. When did you use Parcel to Go? Just I checked them out and they have gone up in line with the PO this past few weeks.
Parcel force is £77.20 plus vat for a 110x25x55 weighing 5-6 kg to Denmark.

Have a look at "Parcel Monkey" they've shipped frames and forks to me at best prices. Where in Europe does your sale have to go to? I have a mate who does a monthly run UK - Spain - UK and charges £50 door to door. Same price if it's an engine or a matchbox. :roll:

Denmark, which for some reason the Scandinavian countries seem to be more expensive, don't know why, but flights there are dear compared to Spain France Holland etc It wouldn't be an issue if I get under 100 cm, but the frame is longer than that and I think they have just altered all the protocols in line with Royal Mail/PF.

Latest posts

Back