Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:30 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:00 am 
Old School Grand Master

Absolutely none of those slide on sleeves work, waste of your hard earned money and look gash. These being "softer" material, pick up dust and grime on them and they rub just as badly as bare cable.
The best stuff by a Retro-bike Mile (:lol: ) is clear Helicopter tape, but buy the genuine stuff.
It's used by the armed services and many industries to protect surfaces from impact damage. Comes in rolls of various widths and is extremely tough, as has a Kevlar content. When applied it is virtually invisible, can be cut to any size and is easily removed with a hairdryer, then some WD 40 to remove any residue.
Also ideal under down tubes, to avoid gravel rash and chainstays, you can't see it on a chainstay when properly applied.
As previously mentioned when threading the cables up, arrange them so they keep off the head tube also, this makes a difference too, but with some cable routing. not always possible!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:02 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Thanks, where did you get those from? Liking those cables too, what are they?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:07 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Wold Ranger wrote:
Absolutely none of those slide on sleeves work, waste of your hard earned money and look gash. These being "softer" material, pick up dust and grime on them and they rub just as badly as bare cable.
The best stuff by a Retro-bike Mile (:lol: ) is clear Helicopter tape, but buy the genuine stuff.
It's used by the armed services and many industries to protect surfaces from impact damage. Comes in rolls of various widths and is extremely tough, as has a Kevlar content. When applied it is virtually invisible, can be cut to any size and is easily removed with a hairdryer, then some WD 40 to remove any residue.
Also ideal under down tubes, to avoid gravel rash and chainstays, you can't see it on a chainstay when properly applied.
As previously mentioned when threading the cables up, arrange them so they keep off the head tube also, this makes a difference too, but with some cable routing. not always possible!

Phone covers are exactly the same imho. They collect all the dust and grime and hold it nice and close to your phone, gently sanding it with each movement.

Ok, clear is good, helicopter tape sounds like it will do the trick, but with so many suppliers of it on eBay in various sizes and prices, which is the stuff to go for and how much will I need to protect a bike (not covering it in the stuff, just the necessary bits).

Still like the rubber bits though.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:30 am 
Retro Guru
Retro Guru

Cables are Goodridge :D

I have these on the Ti frame to :

But after acquiring some of the thick 3M venture sheild I will probably use that.

The guy that 3M'd the front of my car can cut to templates I can do for him in cad so I think I will get custom stuff done for crank arms etc at the same time :D

WD :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:38 am 
Old School Grand Master

You said at the top of the page you wanted to preserve the satin finish of the frame; sticking bits of 'Helicopter Tape' to it you may as well just let the cables polish it?

The rubber guards work just fine; haven't worn through the clear coat on my 'raw' Explosif 8)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:22 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

patineto wrote:
Well first of all you can re-route the housings...
So the right shifter and brake go to the left side of the bike and viseversa, that way the housing will never rub on the frame or bike parts, plus it will shift better too.

As it says that was only a throw together build.
As the cable bosses are so close to the head tube it's not possible to stop them touching the head tube and still work properly. I design fault IMHO.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:28 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

That's how I always run my cables, can't recall when I stopped doing it the other way, but this just makes more sense.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:31 pm 
Retro Guru

My thoughts...if you put something on the cable it doesn't really protect the finish on the frame. The frame finish can still get wear from the cable protector.

http://crankskins.com/kitfullbike.html

I have seen these on Kleins and Ti Merlins. I use them a lot. I think they are great and you can hardly see them.

Use the clear ones, they come in all kinds of shapes and sizes and can be cut to fit. I see they have a matt finish as well now.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:37 pm 
Lincs, East and South Yorks Deputy AEC
Lincs, East and South Yorks Deputy AEC

I bought a roll of this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Self-adhesive ... 2a2ee28f48

Maybe not as good as Helicopter Tape but it does the job on my Proflex 454 top tube.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:41 pm 
Old School Grand Master

...the difference being the Fablon-type stuff will wear through in no time at all whereas Helicopter Tape doesn't.