Save it or paint it?

RadNomad

Senior Retro Guru
Recent acquisition, a '95 Cinder Cone project to become a nice, usable, standard spec bike - not a show queen but i'm a bit fussy and don't like tatty bikes. Unfortunately the paint isn't as good as i'd hoped. Rear triangle has plenty of stone chips left to rust. Some minor 'browning' of the paint under the laquer here and there around some chips. Seat stays in particular don't look too nice - so many small chips/marks which are quite visible - see pic. Could use a repaint but front triangle paint and decals are good enough to live with. Got new decals from gil_m ready for full repaint but...it's only original once innit? The decals are nice but not as good as the originals and i much prefer originality. So.. can i save this frame, make it look smart without fully repainting? Touch up? There's a lot to touch up - might look silly? Repaint rear triangle only - will look nice but quite different to the aged front triangle? Or just repaint the whole thing with new decals - look fresh but originality erased? What'ya reckon, what would you do? Got any tips etc? Thx!

I've got a similar problem with my lava dome - lots of rust spots. It's structurally fine, but it looks too scruffy. Resprays cost more than the bike's worth, and a powder coat will probably mean no decals. The only route seems to be to try and fix the chips.

I found a website somewhere (bookmarked at work - i'll add it later) that suggested removing the rust using a fibreglass pen (usually used for removing stray solder from PCBs), then layering colour-matched paint to fill in the holes, and wet'n'drying to level it out. There were probably more steps.. I'll have to try and find the website.

Two choices; build it as it is and ride it like a fading Joan of Arc, proud and haughty...

...or paint it, decal it and you have a Phoenix risen from the ashes of a previous life, glorious in rebirth and ready to take on the world :cool:

Alternatively I may be talking complete b*ll*cks! :facepalm:

Thanks for the opinions.. Yes W_a_s i'd go for the fading 'Joan of Arc' if it was battle damage, but rusty spots scream 'neglect' which is very uncool. Previous owner obviously rode it hard, put it away wet, let it deteriorate and that gives the impression of a guy who doesn't care for his machine. Kona-Ian has a point but visually it'll be a facsimile of what it once was (and gil_m can't reproduce the early "K" seattube decal so it's a later design). There comes a point when too many spot repairs - however well done - might just look wierd. This frame is boarderline unfortunately. Maybe beyond..
BTW ebay seller described it as "Superb" and "Excellent Condition" and didn't answer my request for better photos. I bid anyway as it was the most original 19" i could find within my tight time window (bought in UK but i live abroad).

Latest posts

Back