What Kona do you think it is?

legrandefromage

Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I have just been given back a pre RetroBike rebuild/ restoration that I built for the neighbours' kids back in 2003 ish.

Let the fun begin:

it features

Dog collar

Deore DX 'carbon look' mechs

Sugino chainset 110 BCD low profile

ovalised top tube changes shape from one end to the other

XT M730 hubs on Sun Chinook 'made in USA' rims

Pics as soon as camera battery is charged...

Right - those forks are rather Kona related as they were from my Voodoo Erzulie. The P2's were let go as threaded headsets were sooooo 1991 and besides, the headset was foobar.

Everything aft listed above is original. *rear rack mounts have been hacked off.

Its quite fun revisiting an old build.

Attachments

• mystery Kona.jpg
    mystery Kona.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 643
If the mechs are original they are Deore II (if I can make the decals out correctly) so would date it at 1989, DX came out in 1990. Didn't 1989 Konas have U's?

Carl.

drcarlos":16dlbrwp said:
If the mechs are original they are Deore II (if I can make the decals out correctly) so would date it at 1989, DX came out in 1990. Didn't 1989 Konas have U's?

Carl.

Yep, U's... also pretty sure the frame is too compact/sloping TT for an '89... also '89's would still have been 1" steerer and had integrated forward facing seat clamps

Even 1991's still had intergrated seat clamps I think

G

There is only one (OK two probably) it can be. Being made from Tange Concept tubing...

The parts certainly are not original to the original concept of the model.

Will check on the tubing when I get home. The old kona decals are still under there. Chainset and cup cone bb definitely original.

Deore II might have been from a knackered rockhopper

Latest posts

Back