E type front mech - Question

Twister

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I've seen (and ordered) a NOS xt 739 front mech to fit my new Orange P7 frame.

I'm sure it's a stupid question, but am I right in thinking that this will dictate the chainring size? And if so, how?

i.e. do I have to go compact or standard?

Thanks
Matthew

Only E Type mechs I've seen (including the one I own) have had a maximum big ring of 44T.

I'd like one that has more capacity as I'd really like to up my big ring to 46 or even 48...

(I'm running Dyna-Sys)

Elysarian":1pvt7rvf said:
Only E Type mechs I've seen (including the one I own) have had a maximum big ring of 44T.

I'd like one that has more capacity as I'd really like to up my big ring to 46 or even 48...
Xtr versions should cope with a big ring as they came with 46/8t big rings. And you get some nice carbon too.

Won't you need a frame with a mount or use an adapter to fit one properly though?

Afaik sheldon brown says that shimano limits are pretty conservative - so it's worth trying a bigger ring with your current setup.

ishaw":1q8wblg7 said:
Xtr versions should cope with a big ring as they came with 46/8t big rings. And you get some nice carbon too.
Why did you have to say that? When ive just bought a nice cheap XT one. Now I want an XTR one to match my spare XTR bits.

ishaw":1q8wblg7 said:
Won't you need a frame with a mount or use an adapter to fit one properly though?
The P7 has the mount.

Looking on the bright side it's a good excuse to look for a nice set of 737 cranks.

I'll have to go and see what (if any) spare compact chainsets I have.

Edit: Turns out I do have a nice set of compact Middleburn rings so its RS7s or RS2s for now.

there's only 2mm (at most) difference between E-type and normal BB's?

I've used standard 68mm ones on my bike (before I got the Hollowtech II I'm using now), was never an issue for me, the plastic cup just sits a little further in than normal.

Back