Ever fallen in love with .......

shinobi

Senior Retro Guru
Hi
Has anyone ever bought a bike just to strip a couple of nice bits from then junk the rest, only to find that its actually pretty nice and you end up wanting to keep and rebuild it ?
Im sure im not alone here lol !
While trawling through gumtree i saw a bike for sale , no name , no size , crap picture etc etc but i could just make out what looked like dx thumbshifters and levers , it was up for £30 and local so i thought i would grab it for the shifters and levers .
Well it turns out the guy was away for a couple of weeks so i didnt think much more of it until i get an email out of the blue asking if i was still interested , so i popped round and it turned out to be a very sorry looking 92 Saracen sahara elite , the drive train is shot to bits , wrong rear wheel and one shifter bracket was bent so i got it for a tenner :D
Anyway started to strip it and once all the nasty old junk is off the frame under the grim and mudguards it looks really nice and original , the only damage is a small dent in the top tube where a d lock bracket was and a bit of cable rub . So starting to polish the frame and watching the chance of junking it slipping away. Now i dont "need " another bike, i dont really have space , im still building the fisher , the mrs will kill me etc but :oops:
will put up some pics when i get a mo .
Cheers Paul

Yep, been there. Bought a Diamond Back for the groupset. After a clean it turned out to be mint with hardly any wear to any parts. It was a good ride too, similar to early 90's Marin so it seemed a real shame to strip it. Still did though, in the end as I needed to recoup the cost of the bike. :mrgreen:

Bought a £25 Marin for a scrapyard ride. Still got it and use it as a road bike.

Attachments

• Marin Finished web.JPG
    Marin Finished web.JPG
    149.9 KB · Views: 674
The History Man":21oibdi1 said:
Bought a £25 Marin for a scrapyard ride. Still got it and use it as a road bike.

That the actual bike - looks in fine nick? Looks big!

There's something I've always liked about STX kit.

i'm 6"3' its set up there for me.. Now has blue DMRs and Blue Bar ends and a Blue selle XO saddle........ Its as fast as a fast thing (for an MTB) :D

My first name's not Nick it's THE

The next post on this thread can buy it the next time they see me. If you post, you buy..........

Back