Gearing question

naboo

Devout Dirtbag
Getting to a stage where I can start rebuilding my old hahanna, I don't have the original cassette or shifters but believe it was 15/18 speed??!

My gf is going to have this bike so can't go single speed, what are my options? Only want to put a single chain ring on it, but want some options on the back for her.

Could I put a 9 speed cassette on the back?, is it likely to fit? I believe the rear mech was acera x if that's of any help to how many gears it had originally? Cheers

It's all dependant on the age of the bike and more importantly the rear wheel.

If you have an older back wheel, then a 7 speed cassette will be the best you can manage, if you have a more modern wheel, which may be the case if the rear mech was the original, then you can fit an 8, 9, or 10 speed cassette.

1 x 10 can be a pretty neat set up with a 3* front chainring and 12-36 on the back, but a lot depends on where the bike is going to be ridden.

You need to look at the rear wheel and see what it is compatible with:

http://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html

Also - look at the shifters, yes? How many gear positions are marked?

I wouldn't be too keen to go to a greater number of gears at the back - the clusters cost more and wear out faster because the sprockets are thinner. 1x10 seems cool, but I'd rather have 2x7 for this reasons. But Neil makes a good case too and ymmv.

Cheers, problem is I don't currently have the rear wheel from this bike, or the original shifters.

I will slot the rear from another bike in and see what fits

I currently run 1x9 with a 32 up front on my other bike and find it ok, only downside Not enough for downhill so may go to 34-36 up front

Handy link thanks!

Just slotted a rear wheel with a 9 speed into the frame with no problems, guess this means I'm good to go with a 9 speed if I need to, or is there anything I should look out for that may catch me out ?!

If you've got another bike go for a good ride (on and off road) and make a note of what gears you use, specifically the highest and the lowest, form there it'll be fairly straight forward to work out if it's possible to get the range you want / need from a single ring setup and also what front ring will give you the ratios you need. As a guess it'll be a thirty-something front ring but that depends what the hills are like where you are and how powerful you're muscles are.

7sp has thicker cogs, but 10 has more, so given less time in each gear, do they wear quicker? Ps) I know 10sp chains are good for nothing.

Cheers, ill probably go 8/9 to keep down costs, I need to buy the full chain set and the 8/9 speed stuff seems more my budget for this bike. Been using 1x9 on my bike and get on fine with 32 up front, I may buy a 34/36 to put on mine as wouldn't mind a little more downhill and swap out the 32 onto her hahanna

Back