Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:39 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:26 pm 
Retro Guru

ultrazenith wrote:
Interesting, I had no idea that carbon provides decent shock absorption, but it explains why I get on so well with my 1998 carbon riser bar.

I also recently discovered have a STEEL Dynatech seatpost on my 1993 M Trax 400. It's the first steel seat post I've heard of on a serious mountain bike, ever. In all my weight weenie years I never once thought to test it with a magnet. Perhaps it's fortunate I didn't because I'd have removed (and lost) it, to fit a cheapo kalloy anodised post in its place.

My 94/5 orange C16R has a steel seatpost - and its heavy! (the post)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:50 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

gtRTSdh wrote:
Why hasn't everyone stopped using cantilevers, V-brakes fit the same mounts and are better?

I keep the cantilevers because they are original to the bike plus the braze on cable hanger looks out of place when v-brakes are used on a frame designed for cantis.

Steven

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:00 pm 
Retro Guru

jaypee wrote:
My 94/5 orange C16R has a steel seatpost - and its heavy! (the post)

Suspect there's some element of fashion in not seeing many steel seatposts - I suspect if someone were to design a high end seat post it would be weight competitive but for some reason when you can get a mildly recognisable alu post for peanuts there's just no market there.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:07 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

Ritchey Nitanium steel, still one of the lightest posts ever.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:43 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

lewisfoto wrote:
gtRTSdh wrote:
Why hasn't everyone stopped using cantilevers, V-brakes fit the same mounts and are better?

I keep the cantilevers because they are original to the bike plus the braze on cable hanger looks out of place when v-brakes are used on a frame designed for cantis.

Steven

Weight probably, and unless you have a frame with a cable run that you can use, ugly cabling, not to me took having to split the hose, or drill out frames to fit them. I'm not against them, just thinking of reasons why other forks of braking are more popular.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:28 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

Location: Wherever it is, I'm being just that little bit more Lance
Eighteen bikes do a Reynolds 953 seat post
http://shop.18bikes.co.uk/products.php? ... 0s397p1475

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:40 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Never having ridden carbon before my new carbon hardtail really does add a good degree of "shock absortion" Having come from a full suss world I have been pleasantly surprised by the amount give that a carbon frame offers...loving the carbon...the anti Alu!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:56 pm 

That Reynolds 953 post is gorgeous.

As far as replacing cantis goes, I can lock my wheels on most my canti-equipped bikes, so have no reason to replace them with anything more powerful.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:50 pm 
Ain't no party like an S Club party
Ain't no party like an S Club party

I ran some F3 Amp forks on a Rascal.

To combine 2 of the 'stupid' questions here, the ride of both items combined was great and I loved everything about it.

The only 'stupid' thing about them was I became obsessed with period correctness, and promptly split everything and sold the forks.

Still strangely regret it, but the bike is now built up much more to my liking, albeit now on more of a visual than an ability level...

Brit bike, as suggested, a DB - but also consider looking at a Zinn if you can find one.
Don't confuse them with Leonard Zinn from your side of the water though - very different...

BB.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:10 pm 
Retro Guru

ishaw wrote:
lewisfoto wrote:
gtRTSdh wrote:

Steven

Weight probably, and unless you have a frame with a cable run that you can use, ugly cabling, not to me took having to split the hose, or drill out frames to fit them. I'm not against them, just thinking of reasons why other forks of braking are more popular.

Agreed forks are better than even twin discs front / disc rear. Taking the front wheel out and using the forks in the ground is THE most effective way of stopping (the bike at least). Or putting one set of forks through one of the wheels is another sure way of slowing down quickly.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next