The stupid questions thread.

ultrazenith

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi, I have quite a few stupid questions relevant to retro bikes, but don't want to create a new thread (or pollute existing threads) with them all, so I thought I should create this 'stupid questions thread', instead.

So here's question number 1: What makes Klein bikes so awesome? (apart from the paint jobs). This is a serious question, not some anti klein rhetorical one.

No offence intended - I've never seen a Klein in real life, and I've never been able to afford one, but I can see how revered they are which means they must be pretty awesome! Their beauty is clear - I was just wondering what their defining ride characteristics are.

like anything expensive, they are a high quality product, tubing wise, paint wise build wise, add to that that they are no longer available and they will become rare, and people want rare.

i've never been a big fan myself, mainly because i don't like stiff frames and if all is to be believed they are a 'racers' bike stiffness wise.

that said if i was to buy one it would be for the paint not necessarily for the frame. i know that sounds dumb but it's true.

:D

i have a klein attitude built by trek, got it cheap because it needed painting. i always loved them, and 2 of my old riding buddies had mc1's. i loved the look of those! went out on my klein last night, and it killed my wrists after 1 hour. but a great fast hour! they are great for after work blasts, but i have got used to my san an, and now feel the klein is a bit much for a long ride. but the san an feels like it's made of jelly compared to the attitude.(mine is rigid)
if it was bad, i wouldn't have just bought another!!! bit like a lightweight rigid zaskar!

If you ignore all the psychophantic (the literal is intentional ;) ) hype, what you are left with is a pretty classy bike...

...I pitched up at the Malverns next to a bloke with a nice shiny Dolomite; he had also got his hands on a Mag 21. He did one practice lap and promptly dumped it in exchange for the original rigid fork.

Still one of my all time favourite paint schemes :cool:

Nowadays, nothing.

BITD... let's face it. If you weren't bowled over by the Klein display at Harry Halls in Manchester, EVERY time you went in the shop - compared with everything else they had. - then you were just not looking.

Not a Klein fan - more of a hater TBH. But they do have that undefinable aura that few bikes have - which is why they have such a big fanbase.

Here is one I have wanted to ask for a while, as a resident of the States which UK built MTB should I add to the collection?

Back