Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:23 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:25 pm 
BoTM | Gold | PoTM
BoTM | Gold | PoTM
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:20 pm
Posts: 8679
Location: Sunny Cornwall
Does anyone know what the stock grips were on the 1990 Kona's. Buggered if I can remember! We're they the same grips across the range?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:50 am 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:44 pm
Posts: 3264
Location: Rushden......ish
They were sort of hexagonal thin rubber which eventually wore out & split, which is why so few have survived :wink:
They were really grippy though :)
Good luck in finding some :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:21 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:26 am
Posts: 709
Location: Kuala Lumpur
They were called "hotdog" grips i think, hence the little impression of a hotdog on the original bar end plug.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:24 am 
BoTM | Gold | PoTM
BoTM | Gold | PoTM
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:20 pm
Posts: 8679
Location: Sunny Cornwall
Gruff wrote:
They were sort of hexagonal thin rubber which eventually wore out & split, which is why so few have survived :wink:
They were really grippy though :)
Good luck in finding some :wink:


I seem to remember those on my 91 Cindercone, were they on the 1990 bikes too?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:26 am 
BoTM | Gold | PoTM
BoTM | Gold | PoTM
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:20 pm
Posts: 8679
Location: Sunny Cornwall
RadNomad wrote:
They were called "hotdog" grips i think, hence the little impression of a hotdog on the original bar end plug.


They would be a few years later no?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:42 am 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:16 pm
Posts: 4334
Well the ones on the 1992 CC I had were pretty thick with a ribbed (oo er) pattern and slightly bulbous (oo er) end. They were covered at the end so no bar plugs were needed. Those, as far as I know were standard on the 1992 range.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:58 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:26 am
Posts: 709
Location: Kuala Lumpur
raidan73 wrote:
RadNomad wrote:
They were called "hotdog" grips i think, hence the little impression of a hotdog on the original bar end plug.


They would be a few years later no?


Yes you're right sorry i misread the question as 1990s era (i.e. the decade) rather than the specific year 1990. My slow brain can't keep up with my fast eyes while reading :oops:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:13 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:08 pm
Posts: 3112
Location: Woking
They are big foam jobs on my 1990 Fire Mountain. Comfy too, I've done literally thousands of miles on one pair!

SP


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:56 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:44 pm
Posts: 3264
Location: Rushden......ish
raidan73 wrote:
Gruff wrote:
They were sort of hexagonal thin rubber which eventually wore out & split, which is why so few have survived :wink:
They were really grippy though :)
Good luck in finding some :wink:


I seem to remember those on my 91 Cindercone, were they on the 1990 bikes too?


The ones i'm describing were on my 1993 Hahanna


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:28 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:35 pm
Posts: 50
Location: Durham
1991 Cinder Cone grips were thin hexagonal affairs. They had a slight bulge in the middle and tapered out thinner towards either end. They did have a short shelf life. I ended up replacing them with Ritchey True Grips. They were of a similar style, bulge in the middle, tapering down. I found the Ritchey Grips too big. The centre bulge was taller than the Kona grip and dug into the palm of my hand. The only plus side was that the Ritchey grips lasted longer.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Adam_S, Antstark, bartsince1975, BerthaPog, retrobikeguy and 60 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group