Just Bought A Rockhopper, Anyone Know What Age It Might Be

nokia_aid

Retro Newbie
Just bought a specialized rockhopper and was wondering if anyone knew what year it might be, pic below,

also was wondering why bikes 1997 and before are retro and 1998 onwards are not, did something change in the way bikes were made or something.

Re: Just Bought A Rockhopper, Anyone Know What Age It Might

I'm going for '99. Nice bike.

The widespread introduction of the Devils Spawn, aka V brakes, is the watershed.

Suspect it could be a bit earlier than that. It has a quill stem which I reckon places it closer to 1993.
I reckon the V-brakes will have been a later addition.
Looks like a White Industries crankset too.

I'm no expert on Specialized though...

i think the whole bike is a custom build, the v brakes have definatly been added along with xt shifters derailers and the white industries crankset,

its just the frame really im trying to age, from what i can gather online by looking at what years specialized did that colour iv narrowed it down to between 1997 and 1999

I bought a Rockhopper new in 97 or 98 and the frame colour was a darker blue than that, with almost a purple shade to it. That had a threadless headset on it.

Graphics look older? And colour is darker? Doesn't look like the 97-99 nitanium ones like in my signature. Reckon its earlier like above says.

94ish. The model name changed to the toptube around 96

Back