Plasti dip or similar on raw steel?

naboo

Devout Dirtbag
Still in a dilemma with my hahanna, at the moment the frame is in a raw polished steel state, I've been advised against clear coating, but want to keep costs down, and love the look of raw steel.

Has anybody used clear plasti dip or similar on a bike frame?, if so how did you get on?

I can get it done cheaply by somebody who uses a plastic /rubber type paint to "professionally" put matte coats on cars etc, or maybe I could buy some and do it myself?? Any advice/experience needed!

I can't offer any experience on plasti dip, but as I've mentioned on other threads, if you're prepared to re treat it every few months then LPS 3 rust inhibitor works on bare frames.

Have used plastidip on my car alloys over winter before and it's an awesome product, easy to use and remove once bored of it.

Not sure about the clear as usually it is a matt finish, best buy a can and give it a try yourself and if you like get it done properly, if you don't just take it off.

Getting hold of the rust inhibitor seems difficult and very expensive!, do you know of any suppliers?

That's what I like about this plasti dip, I may opt for a colour, and from what I hear if its scratched it can easily be filled, just wanted to know how good a seal it provides, I assume being plastic/rubber based very good, just had horrible visions of peeling it off one day and the frame being full rat look underneath !

I can't remember where I bought it from - I know I bought a few cans to make it economical. I'll check when I get a chance as I will have a record of the order. I'm pretty sure I must have got it for a reasonable price as I never have enough money to spare for extravagances!

Nice one!, I certainly couldnt afford £100 for som rust inhibitor!

Really intrigued by the clear plasti dip stuff, seems almost a perfect solution for raw steel, could even apply decals under it, I imagine even if I forked out the money for a professional paint job, a year down the line it certainly won't be "perfect" anymore, at least with plasti dip its not much bother to strip and re apply, or even touch in when required, it's just the appearance I'm concerned about, ie finish and just how clear is it?

Nice work, we have a winner !

This will be perfect especially at that price, is it easy to apply? I've got the frame back now from an alloy wheel refurbisher who's polished it up quite well, I'll have to get this stuff and I can look into starting building her up! Got a bit of a parts list though unfortunately so it's not going to be quick

It's really easy, just spray on and then wipe off any excess - well, that's what I did and I've been using it on bare steel forks for over a year now with only a couple of applications - it needs doing again, but I didn't have time last time before I went out, so just temporarily put GT85 on.

Back