Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:24 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:43 am 
Devout Dirtbag
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:05 pm
Posts: 109
Location: Swansea, Wales
Hi guys,

Brilliant forum, a great read!

Here is my 1998 Kona Hahanna 18", which has most certainly seen better days. I've been riding singlespeed and just bought a Trek CrossRip Elite, so she's been neglected for the best part of 5 years.

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

I would absolutely love to restore her, as I've just moved next to a hill with some great trails (Kilvey, Swansea, South Wales).

Ideally I'd like to replace the forks, as they were never great to begin with. What are my options? It's a 1 1/8" size tube. Marzocchi Bombers? Which model?

I know I'm probably looking at new wheels, and probably hubs, and a new groupset whilst we're at it (jeez, am I talking new bike prices?) What are my options here...?

Is she worth it? Of course I love the nostalgia, but is she gonna be 'good enough'. She was a low end model in Kona's range, and I worry that the frame isn't worth investing money in decent parts...?

I've been dreaming of restoring her for a few years now, and I stumbled across this forum last night and I'm hooked!

Budget is around £200... am I being completely unrealistic?


Last edited by RichCollinsUK on Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:58 am 
BoTM | Gold | PoTM
BoTM | Gold | PoTM
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:20 pm
Posts: 8679
Location: Sunny Cornwall
Hi again Rich. I think a lot of it will depend on what that particular bike means to you. When people have a lot of memories and love of a particular bike then money isn't always the deciding factor. If that particular bike brings back fond memories of a certain time then go for it.
If it's just case of it being the easy option because you already have the bike then I would possibly reconsider. Your budget of £200 would buy you a better complete bike from here or locally on ebay etc. You could bring in a few £ by splitting the old Hahanna and selling it on (not a huge amount of money but better than leaving it under the tarp for another 10 years :lol: )
If you spent £200 on a complete bike then you would probably find a few things you would want to change but that's the beauty/danger of the for sale & wanted sections. Try to move on the bits you don't need to recoup cash and before you know it you'll be on a slippery slope that's very hard to scrabble back up!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:12 am 
Devout Dirtbag
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:05 pm
Posts: 109
Location: Swansea, Wales
raidan73 wrote:
Hi again Rich. I think a lot of it will depend on what that particular bike means to you. When people have a lot of memories and love of a particular bike then money isn't always the deciding factor. If that particular bike brings back fond memories of a certain time then go for it.
If it's just case of it being the easy option because you already have the bike then I would possibly reconsider. Your budget of £200 would buy you a better complete bike from here or locally on ebay etc. You could bring in a few £ by splitting the old Hahanna and selling it on (not a huge amount of money but better than leaving it under the tarp for another 10 years :lol: )
If you spent £200 on a complete bike then you would probably find a few things you would want to change but that's the beauty/danger of the for sale & wanted sections. Try to move on the bits you don't need to recoup cash and before you know it you'll be on a slippery slope that's very hard to scrabble back up!


Thanks for the input mate! The bike does have some great memories and sentimentality attached to it, and for that reason I would love to see it rise again. I could probably get away with cleaning and tweaking the group set, rather than replacing. I would like to put a used but much improved fork and stem combination on it. I was hoping to get some advice on which brand or model to look out for on eBay? I just want to ride down that hill and soak up some of the bumps! I guess having tight gears isn't the biggest priority.

£200 was me being optimistic. If I can do it for £100 I'd be much happier!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:38 am 
Old School Grand Master

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:55 pm
Posts: 8202
Location: New Forest, UK
At the least it's a new fork, headset and stem.
Manitou SX is a decent fork but never seems to go for much: say £25-35, a headset is around £20, stem £5-10. Add in some new brake and gear cables and outers (£25) plus a really good clean and you will be back in business.

So you'll be running for a day or two's fettling and around £100.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:39 am 
Devout Dirtbag
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:05 pm
Posts: 109
Location: Swansea, Wales
hamster wrote:
At the least it's a new fork, headset and stem.
Manitou SX is a decent fork but never seems to go for much: say £25-35, a headset is around £20, stem £5-10. Add in some new brake and gear cables and outers (£25) plus a really good clean and you will be back in business.

So you'll be running for a day or two's fettling and around £100.


This is exactly what I wanted to know! Thanks mate! Will keep a look out.

Know of a fork going for sale?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:43 am 
BoTM | Gold | PoTM
BoTM | Gold | PoTM
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:20 pm
Posts: 8679
Location: Sunny Cornwall
The wanted section is your friend :D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:57 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:34 pm
Posts: 1576
Location: Haydock
Nice little project fella. I like the fact you recognise it's a lower end model. But if its the one you want to keep.. Go for it.

As hamster has said, get the bucket and sponge out and see where you are at. Your front end will need changing as you wont find many decent quill forks about. Then see where you are cash wise. I personally like the old frame newer kit approach, rather than the period correct some prefer. Throw some more modern deore level kit at it and will look like a new bike.

If she is a keeper for you, I would check for play in the cranks, then get the cranks off and remove the bottom bracket, even if there is no play. These often seize into old frames so its good policy to have them out now and then on any bike. bit of grease and then stick it back in if its ok. If you don't have access to the specific tools or mates with knowledge you may wish to get this done by your local bike shops.

Carefully remove all your bottle cage bolts. I would imagine hey are a bit rusty and can at times take the paint with them. New ones on eBay a peanuts.

Get a thread going in the 1998 readers bikes. Good luck.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:15 am 
Devout Dirtbag
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:05 pm
Posts: 109
Location: Swansea, Wales
dablk wrote:
Nice little project fella. I like the fact you recognise it's a lower end model. But if its the one you want to keep.. Go for it.

As hamster has said, get the bucket and sponge out and see where you are at. Your front end will need changing as you wont find many decent quill forks about. Then see where you are cash wise. I personally like the old frame newer kit approach, rather than the period correct some prefer. Throw some more modern deore level kit at it and will look like a new bike.

If she is a keeper for you, I would check for play in the cranks, then get the cranks off and remove the bottom bracket, even if there is no play. These often seize into old frames so its good policy to have them out now and then on any bike. bit of grease and then stick it back in if its ok. If you don't have access to the specific tools or mates with knowledge you may wish to get this done by your local bike shops.

Carefully remove all your bottle cage bolts. I would imagine hey are a bit rusty and can at times take the paint with them. New ones on eBay a peanuts.

Get a thread going in the 1998 readers bikes. Good luck.


Thanks mate! Great advice. I'll head over to the 1998 forum now...!

Just a question, although the bike was low end, do you think that the frame is low end? I know it's cro-moly, but that doesn't really bother me as I rode it happily for years! Is this going to be a limiting factor in what I can put on it? I don't want to strain the bike by putting forks that are too heavy, or have 10mm too long travel... know what I mean?

Other people have recommended the Manitou SX fork, do you have an opinion?

I absolutely LOVE your King Kahuna mate, that was a golden era for beautiful and simple Kona bikes!

Who is this Gil guy? I'd like to be introduced as I may go down the route of a respray... :roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:29 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:34 pm
Posts: 1576
Location: Haydock
Your happy riding mate is the main thing. It's a low end Kona.. That's miles better than a tonne of junk that's produced today and also back then ;). Your frame won't limit you at all, and fork you stick on is going to be the same weight or lighter. Same with any kit upgrades. The only limit your frame has is if your trying to build a light weight bike.

As Raiden73 said. You could, for £200 get yourself a higher spec 2nd hand kona or other model, if you wanted a flashier build. That's however, I don't think is the point of keeping your Hannah.

Forks TBH, I am learning myself.. I couldn't afford any BITD. My mates bought me some 2nd hand marz 03 marathones. to go on my m-trax. They where my first. Hence why I got a set for my KK. Others will I am sure give you better advise. All I do know is you should only go so far travel wise for older frames, or you will end up riding a chopper. Probably 80mm max for yours.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:31 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:34 pm
Posts: 1576
Location: Haydock
A friendly mod may move this to the 98 chat section. Just to keep the forum tidy. So if it disappears, check in there.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Cheshire1980, j0nnyr0cket, Jamis Diablo, Maxipedia, nbcord, rc200ti, Retro junkie and 50 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group