BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
98+ BoTM Winner
Rocky Mountain Fan
Brodie Fan
Feedback
View
I'm fed up with trying to make out seatpost sizes through the scratches or keep guessing what size I need so it's time to buy some Verniers. They're not going to get used every day so I don't want to spend a fortune. Are the cheapo digital ones for a £7 on ebay going to be accurate enough? Should I spend more? Do I even want digital ones?
Any advice welcomed :D

I have old school cheapo eBay jobbies that have lasted a coupe of years of light use so far.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
If you're old enough to be on Retrobike, you're eyesight's probably shot like mine...digital's the only way to go.

I'd go a little upmarket to the steel versions for the sake of durability, but no need to shell out on Mitutoyo or Moor & Wright etc.

The £20 ones which show inches in fractions too are well worth the extra little. I bought a set of these last year.
Still going strong despite daily use, and I never have to calculate what 9/64" is in metricated inches :D

All the best,

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Old school non-digital for me, never have to worry about the battery running out and I never measure anything Imperial anyway!

Those ones sold at Aldi for a tenner are exactly the same ones sold by other companys for upto £80. I kid you not!

Apologies but this has just triggered a long lost memory from my engineering apprentice days. What were those little books of conversion and thread tables called?

Does anyone know if the Aldi ones just come in on special weeks? Aldi isn't that close to me and I don't really want to go there if they don't have them.

Cheers for this I had the same question.
I borrowed some REALLY ACCURATE ones at work (for a company that makes measuring kit).
After trying several time to get a measurement on a Saracen seat tube our engineer decided that
Saracen probably didn't have anything THAT accurate when they built it :)

Back