wtb_rider

BoTM Triple Crown
BoTY Winner
PoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Hello Folks

I want to share my latest work.
Some Time ago, i bought a wtr here on the forum. unfortunatly i can´t remember who was the seller. sorry for that, but i guess he will know when he sees his old bike.

An whiskeytownrace was the bike my addiction started. i once saw a very nice wtr at a bikeshop arroud the corner, in my absolut favorite green/ orange splatter team paint.

stole this pic from the net, i hope thats ok....

From this day i tryed to get one of these framesets, an i guess 2 years ago i found the thread this bike was sold.

Because of the color i thought some days about buying it or let it go.
the colorsheme was similar but not the one i fell in love with the other day.
And then i thought what the .... lets get it, it will not come often in 16" and the paint was very nice too.

I was very excited when the delivery gets in to my house. because of he high shipping costs for a full bike, i left the wheelset and the chainset.
The frame was wrapped bombproof and i could not resist to stack it up.

The frame was in a good but used condition with a lot of paintchips and some rust here and there. wich was the best condition to ride it without the fear of ruinin it.

i added a wheelset and a black xt chainset and voila i got my dreambike.

later on i add a all black bullseye wheelset, so the silver was gone completly

here at the bike show in Berlin

I´m not a big fan of suspensionforks but a former owner of this bike painted a mag 21 sl ti to match and it was a compfy ride till the Mag quit its work.

So i had to react on this infamy.

My plan was:
Painting a fork to match, painting the stem to match and another mag just in case i´ll need it some time.
I got to know a brilliant bike painter who was just the right person for my plan.
Gerrit from cycle art berlin. i told him about my idea and he said that it will be no problem to fix that frame.

I first had the idea of completly repaint the frame because of its condition:

But than i thought it might be a shame to get rid of the orginal paintjob. i was told it could be a team paint from a bikeshop, so it should be some sort of rare. and i couln´t find another pic of the paintsheme. all pics i found was the same frame in diffrent hands all over the globe.

possible forks:
mag:

slingshot:

ritchey logic:

I told Gerrit and he said i can touch up the bad spots polish the orginal paint and cover it up with a nice clear coat to preserve the original paint, to give it a smooth surface an a nice new shine. And paint the other Parts to match.
Great Idea, said and done.

that was the best idea to keep the spirt of the frame and Gerrit did a awesome job on this. If you look closer at the frame you see the scratches under the clearcoat.

Now was the time to get in contact with mr. decal Gil.
They arived fast and i was very happy with his very good work.

i decided to build it up with the ritchey fork and keep the mag in the shelf.
here the first impressinons after the decals where attached:

switched the post saddle and the wheelset:

and today i got fineshed:

I´m very happy with the resut, and evry effort was woorth it.
hope you like it as well.

Now its the time to devote my time to the next contestant in a much worse condition. Gerrit is i the game as well!

cheers kay

Fantastic work as always Kay. I really like the idea of preserving the original paint under a new layer of clearcoat.

That looks fantastic and I agree original goat paint (Russ Pickett)? Is too rare to replicate.
Here's mine 2nd time around (cheers Ant) undetermined what to do with it!

null_zpsd65cecf4.jpg

I like your taste in bikes and you have done a fine job of that WTR paint resto. I cannot wait to see the OTHER Goat built up though :shock:

thanks all for your nice words,....
i´m also curious about the deluxe...i´ll let ya know when i make any progress.
cheers kay

Great job Kay. I remember that bike well. We had a group ride around Gisburn Forest a few years back and at the time it belonged to Si (Dr S). Think he then sold it onto Chris.
I was right behind you on the Deluxe. Been looking for a few years for a small one to go with my WTR. Look forward to seeing the outcome.

Latest posts

Back