Tap needed to clear out frame threads.

Trebz

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi all

I need to clear out the bottle cage and mudguard threads on a frame of mine, what size tap should I buy, I don't know anything about taps and don't know what to ask for.

A link to an online shop or pictures would be good.

Thanks in advance.

Trebz

if you're not sure that tap you have is right one, then find bolt that fits the std boss or eye, find a nut that fits that bolt (so same size and thread) and the nut should easily go on tap as if were a bolt. If it starts requiring brute force then something wrong........

Chopper1192":f964vw63 said:
Use a cotton bud to fill the threads with paint stripper, then turn a normal bolt into it while it's still soft.

I tried just that last night but without the paint stripper, I sheered the thred off the steel bolt I used. The internal thread on the mudguard hangar on top of the dropout is knackered, I need to cut a new thread into the hangar.

You really shouldn't use that much force when clearing a thread. Always also back it off a quarter of a turn every turn or so to clear the thread.
If you still have part of the bolt in the thread then you need to get it out before trying to repair. Re-tapping will not help unless you go to a larger size.

You can make a perfectly effective thread cleaner out of an old bolt. Take a bottle cage bolt with longish thread and make two cuts along the length of the threaded shank using a junior hacksaw or file them using a needle file. Make the cut deeper at the leading end of the bolt shank and shallower toward the bolt head. Remove any burs with a little wire brush if you have one. It's basically a homemade tap, you can't use it to cut new threads but it will repair bruised threads and clean out any muck. You can reuse the same 'tool' for years. Here's a sample pic i found online but i suggest making the cuts deeper and longer than this photo.

Attachments

• FEW0ZFTGTGZI9PU_LARGE.jpg
    FEW0ZFTGTGZI9PU_LARGE.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 544
RadNomad":3egihu5t said:
You can make a perfectly effective thread cleaner out of an old bolt. Take a bottle cage bolt with longish thread and make two cuts along the length of the threaded shank using a junior hacksaw or file them using a needle file. Make the cut deeper at the leading end of the bolt shank and shallower toward the bolt head. Remove any burs with a little wire brush if you have one. It's basically a homemade tap, you can't use it to cut new threads but it will repair bruised threads and clean out any muck. You can reuse the same 'tool' for years. Here's a sample pic i found online but i suggest making the cuts deeper and longer than this photo.

Interesting tip, not seen this before, do you think it would work with BB threads and old steel cups ?

Back