Splatter Paint.

Zerothehero

Old School Hero
I realise this could be a daft question but could anyone explain the process Kona used when applying the splatter finish to the early bikes, was it a hand job or machine, are they all the same or each is different? Looking forward to some info.

Not sure how it was applied, but they were different - some bikes were vastly different, even on the same model.

TSC.":1lryw4o2 said:
Not sure how it was applied, but they were different - some bikes were vastly different, even on the same model.

We were talking about this on our last NE and W Yorks ride, more so with reference to GT's, rather than Kona's, but otherwise identical model GT's can have variation in the splatters, suggesting it was probably done by hand. My conclusion? That being a paint splatterer in a bicycle factory must be a great job!

Yep, by hand. In the ~2009 catalogue they described one of the 1990 models as the worst they ever built, I think it was the Lava Dome!

SP

If gm324152 (can't remember the number sorry dude) comes on here he will tell you exactly how the GT's were painted. IIRC I think he said they sometimes needed several passes through the paint job for a lot of their finishes (even for lower models) - shame manufacturers nowadays don't make the same effort, it's all just computer designed decals on a black or white basecoat now. :-(

Someone on here did a home re-paint on a 90 Cinder Cone. The end result was utterly acceptable as a factory job.

Back