Circa 1995 Orange Seatpost problem

guy debord

Dirt Disciple
I've got a 1995 Orange P7 with one of these:

30uzhgy.jpg

recently the saddle has been moving and I've tightened the clamp up until it's completely closed, yet the saddle still moves. I've tried a beer can shim to no avail, I've put in a saddle with thicker rails. No luck.

Has anyone had this problem and does anyone have a solution. I'd like to keep using this post if possible.

Thanks.

Over time the knurling on the clamp wears so there is no 'grip' when you clamp it all together. You could try machining new knurly bits/grooves using a dremel or similar, as this would create raised strips for the assembly to grip on when you clamp everything together.

Thanks ishaw, I think you're right, I reckon the two aluminium halves of the clamp have worn so it's for the bin. Thanks to another post on the mighty retrobike I found this for £4.99:

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/orange-b ... 47677.html

which in 30mm should fit with the shim removed from the frame (according to the Orange website) it's not original and it doesn't match the stem but at least I won't be hammering at the saddle with my fist every 5 minutes.

The original design was a bit poor, but it did survive 18 years of riding.

guy debord":3kdi5ydw said:
Thanks ishaw, I think you're right, I reckon the two aluminium halves of the clamp have worn so it's for the bin. Thanks to another post on the mighty retrobike I found this for £4.99:

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/orange-b ... 47677.html

which in 30mm should fit with the shim removed from the frame (according to the Orange website) it's not original and it doesn't match the stem but at least I won't be hammering at the saddle with my fist every 5 minutes.

The original design was a bit poor, but it did survive 18 years of riding.

Same problem on my C16R, and also my X1, purchased the ones from jejamescycles and they are perfect, no need for a shim which means that the post feels very solid within the frame :) Great solution, great price and with the Orange Logo looks the part too :D

Back