1991 Rockhopper comp seatpost diameter?

Grumpy farmer

Dirt Disciple
Afternoon all,
I've just noticed that the cheapy aftermarket seatpost on my spesh is slightly banana shaped. So I've whipped it out to look at the diameter in order to buy a replacement. It's a 26.4mm, which seemed an odd size to me, then I noticed that the clamp was nipped in a bit much so I carefully opened it out with a big screwdriver. Now the 26.4mm post rattles about in the tube, a 27.0mm is too tight, so should it have a 26.8mm post? Anyone know what the originally had? I don't have any verniers to measure it.
Ta muchly

Don't know when they changed them, but both my 89 Comps (Rockhopper & Hardrock) are 26.4.
My 95 Ultra is much fatter than the 27 max that is far as my micrometer goes.

My 1988 Rockhopper (Touring Bike) has a stamped and original 26.4 seat post. I just bought a brand new one as the original is way too short. The new 26.4 didn't fit, after getting my callipers on the original it measures 26.2 !

I have ordered a replacement but the 26.4 I bought is now of no use, gutted.

Thanks all, it is looking like it should have a 26.4mm post. I have also now stumbled across a reference table on the Sheldon Brown website which also says 26.4. The post that had bent was an etc branded one, at least it didn't just snap though.

Back